Wanted: Mini DisplayPort to (Regular Size) DisplayPort

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DrFrankTM, Apr 3, 2009.

1. DrFrankTM macrumors regular

I'm considering buying a new Mac Mini now that we can connect two screens to it. And a 30-inch one too! I'm still not sure what screen to get, but I am considering the DELL UltraSharp 3008WFP at the moment. (I'll see what else I can get my hands on here in South Korea, and at what price.)

The big question I have is: Are there any Mini DisplayPort to (Regular Size) DisplayPort adapters out there?

I haven't seen any on Apple's website, and Apple doesn't seem to ship one with the Mini either. (It's not listed in the Mini's detailed tech specs.)

No updates since then, right?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=583097

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

I haven't seen any either. Nothing comes up on a search, or on sites like Monoprice.

4. AndrewLang macrumors newbie

Hey all,

We're developing this adapter although it may be a couple months off at this point. Nobody else is offering it and I'm not quite sure why, maybe they don't think anybody needs it at this point. Anyways I'd love to hear your feedback, I've posted some images and info on the adapter on the our blog: http://estore.circuitassembly.com/catalog/blog/?p=50

5. DrFrankTM thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot, Andrew! I guess the market for it might not be very big yet, but it is bound to get bigger soon. Your product is exactly what I am looking for and I will most probably buy one as soon as it is available. Please keep us posted! :D

6. AndrewLang macrumors newbie

I'll do my best, any suggestions on the length of the cable? I was thinking of about 6 feet or 1 meter as a base but we could make them in several lengths, probably up to 25 feet without any problem. I also wanted to try to mimic the Apple gloss white type of color. That's not something we've done before but I think aesthetics might be pretty important when it comes to cables for Apple products

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

2.0 - 2.5m would be a nice length for users to go from the floor to the monitor.

8. AndrewLang macrumors newbie

That's a good point. I think ideally we'd have several lengths to meet different needs. We usually do 6, 10, and 15 feet. I don't think anyone will be running the cable longer than 15 feet since most of the Displayport monitors are currently 30" max, it would be hard to see too far away. But, if they start making HDTV's with Displayport inputs people may need longer cables.

9. snipes macrumors newbie

I'm glad to hear someone has recognized the need for this cable! I have the Dell 3008wfp, and could make use of this. I haven't upgraded my previous generation mbp since it has dual link dvi and that is working for the monitor. I picked up a new mini last month, and could only run it at 1920x1200 since I didn't want to drop $100 on the apple cable...