Wanted: Over-the-ear headphones with mic and controls

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bollweevil, Oct 23, 2012.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I tried to use the EarPods for a while, but I really want over-the-ear headphones. I want the huge bulky headphones where each earpiece is a big cup that surrounds your entire ear, and seals against your head.

However, I also really like the mic and controls on the EarPods (volume +/-, play/pause/Siri), and I want that too, if possible.

Are there over-the-ear headphones with the mic and controls?

Alternatively, can I buy just the controls and mic, as an accessory? I am envisioning a device that plugs into the iPhone, and then has a socket where you plug in your headphones, and then the mic is on a wire that clips to the headphone wire. If that makes any sense.

2. simplified587 macrumors member

A Few Suggestions

I've been using the Incase Sonic for almost a year now. They are very comfortable with decent sound. It also comes with 2 detachable cables both with inline remote.

http://goincase.com/products/detail/sonic-ec30003 - $100

Another company that I've been keeping an eye on is NOCS. They also offer an overear type headphones along with many very sleek-looking in-ear earphones.

http://www.nocs.se/collections/all/products/ns700-phaser - $100

The Urbanear Plantan looks very similar to the NOCS. My sister loves these headphones but she somehow managed to break two of these already (while she was cutting models in her studio class). Make sure you get the "Plus" version because those are the ones that come with remote

http://www.urbanears.com/headphones/plattan_plus - $70

Now, I probably have to admit that I take industrial design as a big factor when I buy earphones (or electronics in general). I personally think that the Bose and the Audio-Technica offerings are just do not look good (even though they might sound better).

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

Sol Republic Tracks HD $130

http://solrepublic.com/headphones

These are great headphones. You get style, durability, iphone controls w/mic, and great sound.

Look up reviews on youtube and you'll see how much they are praised. If you get them make sure you get the "HD" version which come with the V10 sound engines.

4. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

How is the sound isolation on the Incase Sonics? Please provide any comparison and contrasts to other headphones/earphones.

Also, when you say it has decent sound can you go into more detail (C+C also please)?

5. KojiH macrumors 6502

6. GiRARDsays macrumors member

I personally use the Sol Republic Tracks Ultra headphones with my iPhone 5. It's technically not an "Over-The-Ear" headphone since these sit on your ears instead of surrounding them. Definitely a little pricey for most, but the sound quality is great for its pricepoint. If you have a buddy that works for Best Buy, see if they'd be willing to hook you up with their employee discount. ;)

[​IMG]

7. awtryau89 macrumors regular

It all depends on your sense of value and how much you want to spend. Right now the best over the ear value is the UE 6000 from Ultimate Ears. They are $199 at Best Buy or the Apple Store but they are being reviewed against cans that are $400 and winning. They look great. They have the iPhone controls and even have ANC (Noise Cancellation) that can be turned on or off. They trounce any Beats or any of the above mentioned sets. Take a look at their site and do some research and you will see that most of your favorite artists are probably using their in ear monitors for on stage performance.

http://ue.logitech.com/en-us/headphones

8. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

Yes. Yes. I'm so glad you said this because I was totally going to. AMAZING headphones for the pricepoint.

9. simplified587 macrumors member

This is actually my first full-size headphones that I used extensively so I have no other experience to benchmark the Sonic with but another earphones that I use a lot are the Shure SE420 in-ear earphones so I will try to compare them.

In my office with volume on a Mac about 1/2, the was not able to hear the conversation that my co-workers have nearby. Sound leakage is also very minimal. I think the ear cups that are elongated to shape like your ears and the suede covers really helps.

I have not really used this in noisy environment or outside. In those environment I preferred in-ear earphones like the Shure. Also, the Sonic is quite big and they make you look a bit extra-terrestrial (especially with the white/orange one that I have).

First off I should let you know that I am no audiophile and I like to listen to pop/rock and acoustic music. With that said, I feel that the Sonic has a "wider" sound stage than the Shure (mostly due to the fact that they are different types of phones, I think) with a noticeable emphasis on the high end of the spectrum. I personally prefer the relatively "flat" sound of the Shure. The hi hat sound a little too bright now and then. The base is not too overwhelming, which I like.

Like I said before though, the best part of the Sonic is that they are very comfortable. With in-ear phones like the Shure, I would have to take them out once in a while to "clear my ear". I also used the Panasonic RP-HTX7 (Very cool looking phones, btw!) for a little bit before and they get pretty uncomfortable because they squeeze your head after a while. I could use the Sonic all day without having to take it off because my head hurts.

Hope this help!

10. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

11. GrandPhrase macrumors 6502

I'm no audiophile either.. just an ordinary listener who loves music, but this definitely helped out! Everyone I know has said the Sonics are the most comfortable headphones in the world, and you only emphasize that :D. As for the sound, not many reviews have been out, but the way you describe gives them flaws of course, but it seems like they really are enjoyable headphones. This really makes me consider them, after I can get a chance to listen to them that is (haven't been able to find them in any of the Apple stores I've been to, or any nearby electronic shops for that matter).

But yeah.. this got me excited and looking forward to them.. thanks again!

12. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I have the HDs as well and I'm a big fan. They have a ton of low end bass, so these are ideal for modern music/electronic/hip hop.

13. Byeen macrumors member

Byeen

And what about mids and highs ? I really love their design and I need headphones in this price range, but I'm a bit worried as I'm listening various music, from hiphop thru jazz, metal etc. Are mids and highs well enough ? Thanks for any help !!!

14. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Are there any new offerings from the past 8 months? What about different people with different ideas?

15. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

you didn't mention price point. I highly recommend the VMODA m80 or m100. m80 is more on ear than over and the m100 is a true over ear. They both have removable cables and come with cables with inline controls.

16. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I just bought 3 pairs of headphones from Amazon. They are Logitech ($70), Philips ($25), and Skullcandy ($25). The Logitech headphones definitely work great with an iPhone, including microphone, play/pause, next/previous, and volume up/down. The Logitechs have very good reviews. Downside: The Logitechs are on-the-ear, not over-the-ear. I actually may prefer that while running, because I sweat.

The Philips and Skullcandy are both over-the-ear (nice), and I am about 99% sure the microphone works (I don't care very much), but I am totally unsure whether the play/pause and next/previous controls work with iPhone. The Philips ones are advertised as "Android compatible". Both the Philips and the Skullcandy headphones have a remote on the cord, the question is whether it works, and whether it has volume up/down.

My 3 pairs of headphones will be arriving Monday and Tuesday, because Amazon Prime.

If I wanted to get just one set of headphones and be guaranteed that it had everything (remote control and also over-the-ear), then I would get the Bose headphones for $180. But that is too rich for my blood at the moment, I got 3 pairs for significantly less money. Let's see how I like them.

17. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

18. wytwolf macrumors regular

I agree. I have the m80's and they sound great but are on ear. The m100's are over the ear and get great reviews. Plus both are built like a tank.