Wanted SSD, What Are You Doing Now?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jazwire, May 3, 2011.

?

Intended on Buying An SSD, What are you doing now?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2011.
  1. Waiting the 4-6 weeks.

    18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Ordering Without SSD, Going w/ Ext. Thunderbolt later.

    15 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. Ordering with HD and replacing with aftermarket SSD.

    2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Ordering with HD and hoping I can add aftermarket SSD easily.

    10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  5. Other (Explain in post)

    3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #1
    If you had the intention of always buying the SSD model, what are you doing now that Apple has a 4-6 week wait?
     
  2. Dr99 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    #2
    What's another few weeks after waiting this long? I went with SSD+1TB.
     
  3. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2010
    #3
    The extra waiting time shook my confidence in buying SSD BTO. I then reconsidered the issue and decided not to buy it. This is partly due to the recent possibility of using an external SSD later with Thunderbolt.
     
  4. Jazwire thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I'm leaning in that same direction.
     
  5. desantii macrumors 6502

    desantii

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2006
    Location:
    Aurora, IL
    #5
    Likewise
     
  6. admanimal macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2005
    #6
    Apple just needs to add support for bootable Thunderbolt drives and we'll be all set. Supposedly this is not currently supported.
     
  7. iMikeT macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #7
    It's not that difficult to install an SSD aftermarket. Just do a little search with your friend Google and you should be on the correct path.
     
  8. 50548 Guest

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Currently in Switzerland
    #8
    Seems like this is gonna be my direction as well, although I have no idea about LaCie's pricing for its solution...
     
  9. archer75 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2005
    Location:
    Oregon
    #10
    Not a concern. Sure it would improve system responsiveness but it's not going to make my video encode any faster and it's not going to give me higher FPS in games.

    I'd be willing to add one in as a boot drive in addition to the mechanical drive.
     
  10. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #11
    I wouldnt want to wait for the slooooow SSD apple provides.

    whats the point of paying the SSD premium when you dont get SSD speeds

    http://barefeats.com/ssd6g.html
     
  11. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

    DeaconGraves

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2007
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    #12
    I've been wondering that myself. The 4-6 week wait out of nowhere seems supsicious. I'm completely speculating, but it could be that Apple is waiting for better/faster SSDs.

    I decided to go ahead and put my order in and wait the 4-6 weeks. I'm personally not one who likes to take my computer apart to upgrade the HD. :)
     
  12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #13
    Waiting, but 2-3 weeks, as I'm going with the 21.5". I like the high end graphics, but the 27" is just too big for my tastes. I find it overpowering. Mine ships by May 24, hoping for sooner.
     
  13. Jazwire thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #14
    Well, I ordered the machine without an SSD. 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 , & the 2GB Video Upgrades
    Still up in the air on the end solution.

    Shopping for SSD's at the moment and picking up another 8gb of ram.

    Undecided if I will crack open the IMAC and install internally or just put it in a firewire ext case until the TB one is available.
     
  14. Jazwire thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Jazwire

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #15
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I'm leaning in that same direction.
     
  15. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2010
    #16
    For me the upgrade is already quite significant, going from a 2007 Macbook Pro to the current iMac. I'd like to have an iMac now, since my laptop is feeling way too sluggish lately.

    As for SSD, I think I will add one at a later time. The increased performance of the new iMac compared to my laptop will already keep me happy for months to come. So at the time when my iMac is not feeling special anymore, I'll add an SSD to it, either through Thunderbolt if that works out in the end, or by adding one internally. I'm not sure what the best course of action is there, perhaps I can let Apple do it (anyone any experience with that?) or just do it myself and buy my own SSD, which has other benefits. The problem with that option is that I'm not very confident in not screwing up the installation, such as getting dust behind the screen.

    Either way, SSD will be added at a later time.
     

Share This Page