Wanted - the movie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benmrii, Jun 26, 2008.

1. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I'm fairly excited about this movie. Against my better judgment I've accepted an invitation to hit up the 12:01a showing so I'll be seeing it soon.

My only concern from the previews is that it has the potential to be a movie that basically arose from, and depends on, the "curving the bullet" gimmick. I'm not going in expecting that to be the case, but wary that it is possible.

Anyone else heading out to see it tonight? Definitely this weekend? Excited about it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After seeing it:

Ultimately the movie was enjoyable. The ending has some serious problems from a believability standpoint, but then again since most of the action is pretty fantastic I guess you're somewhat ready for that. :) Wesley, the main character, is fairly annoying as he transitions, the story is more or less predictable, but clever and fun... classic summer action movie.

If the previews grabbed your attention it is worth seeing in the theater.

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Looks alright, not a big fan of jolie but I might end up renting it.

ChrisN

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'll wait for a rent or a free viewing, based solely on the impossibility of "curving the bullet".

4. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I'm seeing this tonight!

I'm both excited and nervous about this movie...

Pluses:
    * Angelina - she could make even a gay boy like me go straight. :D
    * Directed by Timur Bekmambetov ("Nightwatch," "Daywatch") - so it's sure to be a visual treat.

Minuses:
    * Apparently strays WAY too much from the original comic, which I love. :(
    * I'm soooo bored of James McAvoy! And Morgan Freeman too!

5. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I want to see it, but Im not sure if my dad will let me.

He has this whole no R movies thing going on....:(

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well, how old are you? How close are you to being able to see R movies?

7. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Well, I just turned 14 yesterday. :eek:

I can understand if he wouldnt let me see Saw, or those kind of movies. The only R movies that I have wanted to see are Wanted, Little Miss Sunshine, Hard Candy (watched that online, it was weird, but awesome), The Blair Witch Project, and Pans Labyrinth.

He wouldnt let me see Little Miss Sunshine cause he said it was too "heavy". :(

8. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Um...of all the movies you listed, Litte Miss Sunshine should be the least of his worries. I think it has an "R" due to mainly language. A few f-bombs and all that. Hard Candy is probably most-deserving of the "R" rating. If you were able to handle that, you can handle Little Miss Sunshine...

9. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Two thumbs up...

Saw the midnite showing... excellent comic to screen adaptation (captured the spirit of the comics). :)

10. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

I just saw it and there were a couple moments of "strong sexual content" as the MPAA would put it. If your dad thought Little Miss Sunshine was too heavy, I don't know about your chances with this film.

11. bbbensen macrumors 6502

Well, Hard Candy wasnt that bad. It was more because it involved a 14 year old girl into the mix. Although they did say the F-Bomb a few times.

There were some weird stuff in that movie. But my Mom has been trying to convince him to let me see it, but its not working that well.

Can anyone who has seen it tell me how violent it is?

12. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

13. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Just got back.

It's, uh....pretty damn violent. But it's such unbelievable, over-the-top, video-game-like violence, that I was almost de-sensitized to it from the get-go.

It was fun, but a little TOO crazy for my tastes. I would have preferred a more "grounded" movie that was a bit more realistic. It really strays far from the original graphic novel too -- and yet there's some things that are lifted straight from the comic. It's weird. I'm not sure what I'd grade it, to be honest. I need to let it sink in a bit more and think about it in a few days, and see how I feel then.

14. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Saw it last night. The 3 shows following were sold out as was the one I was in.

Overall, I think its a great action film for the summer. It provided both action and comedy which I think is a great mix. I have never read the novel, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The visual effects were really good too.

15. K3mp macrumors 6502

I'm watching the pre-movie ads now:). I'll post when the movie ends or untill it starts..

16. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

17. K3mp macrumors 6502

She lives about a block from my grandparents. I've seen them 3 times.

18. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I convinced my dad to let me see it since my 20 year old cousin didnt want to see Wall-E.

I loved it, and so did every one else but my dad. He thought it was too violent. I dont know if I will see a R movie again until I turn 18, but it was worth it. :p

19. idyll macrumors 6502

Looks like a good time and not much more... Which is not a bad thing :)

20. kristiano macrumors regular

Some of the action scenes were a bit OTT but I generally enjoyed it quite a bit.

21. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have to agree with you on that!:D

After seeing Wanted, I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was full of impossibilities but it was awesome nonetheless.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Angelina looks like a carp. I'm gonna have to smack you and Rojo. :) She's the reason I won't be seeing the movie for sure. I only ever liked her once- in Beowulf.

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I think Wanted is one of the best movies of the year. It was a great movie on so many levels. The chracters, the special effects, the story, the action, the humor. I was blown away. :D I might even say it was better than Iron Man...maybe....but it's defintely one of the best, this year, so far.

24. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

I go back and forth with her depending on the movie/her character. Sometimes I think she is gorgeous, sometimes quite the opposite. This movie she was alright... not distracting in either direction.

There are actors who I can't stand in general to the point of not seeing anything they are in, but she isn't one of them. Heh... actually, there is one actress that I almost can't watch. She is too distracting. :eek:

25. benmrii thread starter macrumors 65816

benmrii

I agree with you on most of that, but actually I thought the story was disappointingly bad. Predictable and full of problems, even with the suspension of general knowledge of anatomy and physics.