Wanted: Tips/warnings re: buying a reconditioned iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TCMerrill, Apr 25, 2009.

1. TCMerrill macrumors newbie

I am about to purchase a reconditioned iPhone 3G 16Gb. The local ATT store does not carry reconditioned units so I am left to purchase one via either phone or website.

I am a current ATT customer. I plan to stay with the same plan (the $39/mo version) and just adding the $30/mo data plan. I text so little, 20¢ each is best for me. What should I be considering and/or watching out for?

I've read about iPhones developing or even arriving with what sound like stress cracks in the housing.

What about battery life, overheating?

Any thing else I didn't think of?

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Are you looking for someone to talk you IN TO our OUT OF buying a refurb iPhone. Because I could accommodate either.

Get it?

3. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

refurb from apple is as good as new. Only difference is the box.. assuming they are as good with the iphone as they were with ipod

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

If you can wait, a new iPhone is rumored for June/July.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Had the same experience with refurb from AT&T.

The stress cracks are an issue, I guess, but I thought that the current position was that Apple had agreed to provide warranty on them? The refurb iPhone comes with a warranty, so you could just take it to an Apple store were this an issue and get another one.

6. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Refurbs are good as new, just check all of the common things first... light leaks, cracks, etc

7. core2duo macrumors member

The refurbished iPhones AT&T sells aren't refurbished by Apple, but by AT&T (or a third company they contract with). As far as I understand it, they are iPhones that were demo units, or were returned by customers, then got sent to a central refurbishing facility for inspection and repair if necessary. Once they meet the specifications of that facility, they are boxed up and shipped back to AT&T to sell as refurbished.

If you're buying one at an AT&T store, ask them if you can check the serial number first. Then look it up on Apple's online service assistant, and you can get an estimated date that your warranty with Apple will expire. That way you'll know how long you'll be eligible for a free repair through the Genius Bar, and how long you have to purchase Apple Care if you want it.

One final thing you should look at is whether the liquid submersion indicators are triggered or not. I can't imagine AT&T selling an iPhone with them tripped, but just in case, it only takes a second to shine a light down the headphone jack and in the dock connector. If you see red or pink, pass on the deal.

Hope that was helpful.

8. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I don't want anyone to get mad at me for starting a new thread on a common topic so I'm adding my question to this, related thread:p I think I'm finally going to buy a refurb iphone on at&t website tonight.

Please share your thoughts- positive or negative- about refurbished iphones from at&t. Are you happy with it? Were there any scratches on yours when it arrived? Any indication that it looked used? Thank you.