Wanted to give a thumbs up for Apple and iCloud.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilverOath, May 6, 2013.

1. SilverOath macrumors member

I had my MacBook Pro recovered thanks to Apple employees being diligent in following up on a lock message, and researching the registration. I just wanted to share my experience and remind people that Apple (at least sometimes) can get proactive in helping those of us unfortunate to have a theft -- especially considering my googling experience in choosing lock/wipe suggested I was better off wiping....

I had my MacBook Pro stolen off my person approximately a month ago now. I didn't ever expect to get it back, but none the less I obsessively checked iCloud for an update on its location. I had initially hoped that the thief would login at least once before disabling the iCloud account. After two days after the theft iCloud switched from "waiting to be found" to "location services have been disabled".

In a state of panic and fury I googled my next options, locking, or wiping... If I wiped it I figured I'd have null chance of recovery, but googling results indicated that Apple would avoid becoming entangled if a stolen laptop showed up at their store. I figured that it being a retina, would make swapping the storage drive a difficult task, and ended up opting for locking. I left a message in the locking note that the laptop was stolen, and the police department handling the robbery.

Around two weeks later I get a call from Apple asking about the laptop, they called the police but the police hadn't entered the S/N into their system yet. I informed them of the detective and the case number. They contacted the detective, and arranged from him to get the laptop, as well as the name of the person who brought it in. A week later I had the laptop in hand again!

The detective said the person who brought it into the Apple Store was another victim (bought it stolen on craigslist). I was/am skeptical, but Apple wiped the HD so I had no way to show the detective that the machine was locked before they purchased and used it as they claimed. (I saw the person on CL still selling my laptop a day after iCloud confirmed the lock.)

Nonetheless I just wanted to put out a positive story about iCloud, and Apple regarding thefts. Everyone has their own priority system in terms of wiping or locking, but it is possible if you put the information in the lock message that Apple will get involved. :)

2. Kattym macrumors member

That's why Apple is #1 company. They deliver not only great gadgets, but also provide good services.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Although true, I believe the find my stolen stuff could be improved. Like wiping but still keeping it locked and locatable by you (a small hidden partition etc).

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Neat story. Good thinking to put the message in there. Glad it all worked out for you. Having a laptop stolen totally stinks. I had a TiMacbook Pro stolen and we never recovered it. Of course that was before cloud computing and all of the possible tracking methods we have today.