Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpc91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
UK
as the title suggests i have been wanting to jailbreak for ages however i have been put off by the fact it may permanently damage my device.

So my questions are:

could it permanently damage my device?

is the device unstable with jailbreak.

is the device less secure with the jailbreak installed.

could i permanently brick the device.

can i easily restore the phone back to how it was before?

can i still backup my phone using i tunes.

thank you.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
could it permanently damage my device? No

is the device unstable with jailbreak. Depends, some tweaks may make it unstable, and in the first days of a new JB it will need some updates etc, but for the rest pretty stable

is the device less secure with the jailbreak installed: Yes and No, depends on what you do with it, installing pirated apps etc can open you up to security issues, but for the rest no more than a stock device

could i permanently brick the device. No, you can always restore to a stock Apple firmware

can i easily restore the phone back to how it was before? Yes, it will wipe all your data etc, but you can use a back-up like usual to get that back

can i still backup my phone using i tunes. Yes

mpc91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
UK
wow thanks man, how does the cydia app store work?

is it the same as apple one?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Nope, I have an XR which has A12 CPU, they released for A8-A11 for now, but expecting the JB for A12 devices somewhere coming weeks. I used to be Jailbroken on every device I had from iPhone 4 onwards though.

mpc91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
UK
so once your jail broken with a certain software release with a certain developer im assuming you just stick with that release until they come out with a jb for new ios?

can you just upgrade to new jailbreak ios when it comes out or do you have to restore?

im assuming though they may not be any ned to upgrade to new ios when jail broken as al the new features of ios are probably already available to you?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You will have to restore to get to a new iOS, it is always tricky to time it right as usual it will take months to develop a new JB, by that time many people have moved on to higher iOS version and cannot go back. Unc0ver works on 12.0-12.1.2 with latest being 12.1.4. I stayed on 12.0.1 at first, than 12.1 and finally decided to go to 12.1.1 as it was clear that version would be supported.

So yes you stay long on a lower iOS to keep the JB, however that sometimes also means missing out on new features Apple brings out, that's a trade-off which is different for everybody.

mpc91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
UK
i see, when you jb does apple still say in settings there is a newer version of of ios?

and if so if you accidentally clicked on it im assuming that would reset your phone?

mpc91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
UK
Yes it wil, but there are JB tweaks that will prevent a new iOS being downloaded or installed ;)
i see, im probably just going to copy what 'everything apple pro' does in his recent video and go from there haha
thanks for the advice mate.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Sorry to tell you but 12.1.4 is not compatible with the jb and probably will be a long time for one is released for it if at all..

Curren JB is for 12.0-12.1.2 only and you cannot downgrade from a higher version.
[doublepost=1550954910][/doublepost]Only thing you could do is downgrade to 12.1.1 beta 3, that is the only one which Apple allows downgrade to, for the moment, it would also mean that you cannot use your 12.1.4 back up file

mpc91

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2018
UK
Sorry to tell you but 12.1.4 is not compatible with the jb and probably will be a long time for one is released for it if at all..

Curren JB is for 12.0-12.1.2 only and you cannot downgrade from a higher version.
[doublepost=1550954910][/doublepost]Only thing you could do is downgrade to 12.1.1 beta 3, that is the only one which Apple allows downgrade to, for the moment, it would also mean that you cannot use your 12.1.4 back up file
thats the end of that then lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.