Wanted to try Ubuntu 8.04 on MacBook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wyatt23, May 13, 2008.

1. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

I have on past windows machines, switched over to Linux, and really loved it. Basically, i tried gentoo and almost committed suicide. Then I tried debian, and was frustrated at how hard to configure it was. Mandrake(mandriva) and fedora were ok, but i found ubuntu to be very good out of the box. Almost perfect out of the box.

I just did a search about installing Ubuntu 7/8 onto a C2D Macbook, and I am instantly frightened and annoyed about the prospect of putting it on.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

this link goes through all of the setup you have to do just to get your mac to 'just work' after the install. Even tho i love OS X, i wanted to try something new. Now i realize i'm gonna wait for a little bit more mature version of ubuntu.

the problems i saw were:
    - non-open source wifi, so this can't be included in the distro (no ubuntu's fault). however, the network manager makes the OS unstable if you use these drivers.
    - screen dimming problems
    - coming out of standby
    - setting up iSight and the mic
    - track pad functions
    - the fan speed
    - harddrive load and unload cycles
    - more...

Are the custom macbook distros based off ubuntu? Does anyone run the new ubuntu? Is is worth the hassle? I love it on my PC boxes, but i don't know what to do with my Macbook.

2. antibact1 macrumors 6502

It would be difficult to say it is too much of a hassle without knowing what you need from Ubuntu that you do not get from OS X. Why do you want to make the switch?

3. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Trying Ubuntu or any other Linux based OS just for fun is definetly a good idea. You may want to try installing in a virtual machine, like Virtualbox, Parallels, or VM Ware. Virtualization is probably the easiest and safest way to try Linux on your Mac.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I've got Ubuntu 8.04 desktop in VMWare on my 2.16 MB, no problems, recognizes everything, on the 'net, printing, all the usual computer stuff. Very clean, tight, and flawless.

5. wyatt23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i'm definitely going go try it in virtualization right now!

i like being able to use any interface easily when i go from computer to computer. linux is really my 'staying current with the times'-OS. i like linux and i like what it stands for. One day we won't be using OSX because those open sourcers will have integrated everything apple does into an open source OS.

I can easily say it's too much hassle. :) i want to try all the open source goodness that comes along with ubuntu. i want to use amarok! (but if i install the airport drivers, then the sound may not work). I'd like break my system only to have to fix it. (i can't do that with os x) linux forces me to be a better computer user and maintainer and to a certain extent a better programmer. those are things that OS X don't allow me to do.

The hassle of the initial install, while informative and helpful to how linux works, is a deterrent from wanting to install and play before i have to get my hands dirty.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Parallels' Tools doesn't install properly on Ubuntu 8.04, so some of the Mac integration doesn't work properly, and you're limited to 1280x800 or something like that. VirtualBox caused a kernel panic on my machine. VMware seems to handle it very well.

7. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

And boring.

8. minicoop503 macrumors regular

I just installed 8.04 on my older gateway laptop the other day, and I'm on it right now actually. It recognized the wifi, trackpad controls, sound, video card, etc..

I booted it up after install and was instantly on the web. It's the best release of Ubuntu so far and I highly recommend at least trying it out!

9. Ilomoga macrumors member

I've installed it both on VMware (as server) and on VirtualBox (the full Ubuntu + KDE4) and it worked without problems. What I liked on VirtualBox was that you installed the drivers and then rebooted - in VMware I think you have to answer many questions before you are finished :-(

10. DomnizkyDesign macrumors newbie

Ubuntu 8.04 insists on freezing on me every five hours.

It might be the new "enforced break" feature I've been hearing so much about.

Great.

11. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Ubuntu? why that distro

I'm a Fedora/OpenSUSE guy myself. If ease of use is you're key skip Ubuntu and try OpenSUSE 10.3 soooo user friendly and better documented(IMO).

12. thirdeyeopen666 macrumors 6502

thirdeyeopen666

I run 8.04 using the built-in WUBI installer that lets you install it inside Windows. Everything works. Wifi, keyboard, 3d acceleration...

13. Ilomoga macrumors member

Does it work on Macs too now (in Windows/BootCamp of course)? I tried it with the 7.04 beta (of wubi installer) which didn't boot up for me. Seemed it had problems with the GPT or how its called (instead of MBR) of the hard drive.

14. coopermac macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Having had problems with my Dell desktop running XP instead of going back to a new XP install have done a full install of Ubuntu 8.04 and very much like what I see and how it operates. It is very near to Mac OSX (at least to me).

One thing I would appreciate some help with however is setting up my Epson R220 printer attached to my Time Capsule. It worked fine under Bonjour for Windows but I can't get Ubuntu to find it. Any ideas (not too techie) please.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Not any more you're not. It's not an officially supported version yet, but it works perfectly on my MBP.

Link

Download the tgz file, then hunt around for the ISO and mount it in your virtual machine. Run the install script as with the other Linux Parallels Tools.

16. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

The price of rope went up when gentoo was conceived.

17. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Good choice!

I'd recommend VirtualBox to start with as it's
    pretty decent and free:

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

18. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

If you do get everything working hardware wise, install Kiba Dock and Gnome Do, then configure the show desktop / show application / show all windows keys to F11 - F10 - F9, bind Minimize to Super-h and you can almost feel like you are on a Mac!

Or you can reboot and actually be on one :)

Kidding aside, this is how I run my work Dell, and while not perfect, it certainly makes me feel a lot more comfortable and my ingrained application management motions are still useful.