Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
I have a DSLR which I'm very happy with and that takes great shots. However, it doesn't exactly slip into a pocket and there's no way I'd take it to the beach or snowboarding. I also see lots of great shots as I'm walking to work etc so I want to get a compact so that I always have a camera with me. So, what I'm looking for is a "take everywhere" compact (and I mean "everywhere"!).

A bulletproof G11 is what I really want, but I don't know if they exist. There are plenty of waterproof/freezeproof/shockproof compacts out there, but I want something that I can really take control of, and preferably with RAW capability.

Does such a thing exist? If not, given that I'm prioritising the rugged nature and portability over manual controls, what would be the best compromise?

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Such a thing does not exist. Compacts with comprehensive manual controls are hard enough to find, without being bulletproof. A G11 would probably be your best bet, as at the moment, alternatives such as the S90 and LX3 aren't as solidly built. The upcoming Samsung TL500 looks promising, but it has yet to be released.

So: G11. Just keep it (relatively) dry, and don't let sand jump into your lens motor.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
For whatever camera you buy why not just buy an underwater housing for when you do go to the beach/snowboarding...

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
And a G11 is not really a "pocket" camera.

Heh, yeah, with the underwater housing it's basically the size of an SLR.

But the OP considers the G11 by itself it to be the right size. And for snowboarding/skiing, it's definitely small enough to fit into a coat pocket.

Grasher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
The G11 is probably at the upper end of the size scale, and underwater housing is definitely out. The whole idea is that I want something that I can just grab.

I was 99% sure that no such camera existed but I thought I'd make one last check! Given that the portability/ruggedness is the area where I really don't want to compromise I guess I'm now looking at the canon D10 or mju tough type area. Does anyone have any thoughts on these?

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Having owned an older incarnation of the Tough series (770SW), I can say that it can definitely take some serious punishment (e.g. falling on jagged rocks). Photographic control/quality is subpar by all accounts (mine included), and reviews of more recent models indicate that this hasn't changed much.

If you haven't already, check this out: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

These are older models, but the relative ratings should hold up. The Panasonic TS1 seems like a good compromise between image quality/control/durability. You might also look at the Sony TX5 (review here).

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
S90 + housing...

The Canon S90 in a housing (Ikelite or Canon) is great for underwater use but is going to be large enough with enough odd housing buttons and dials to be a total hassle on land. The sensor is good for a P&S and the raw capabilities are very good. If you only need the camera as a very small dry land camera plus want to be able to take it scuba diving or snorkeling in a housing, this would be my opinion as to the best way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.