Wanting a new computer, yet a little confused

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shaley09, Apr 14, 2007.

1. shaley09 macrumors newbie

:confused: I'm currently saving for a new computer. I've decided I should be able to get it around the end of summer if I get enough hours. I'm planning on taking this to college. I'm big on video editing (I recently bought a new JVC everio camcorder), but I have a very tight budget. I have a couple crucial questions:
    iMac or mbp? (or pc?) I'm a mac kinda person though.
    What specs should I get on it?
    Will ilife work with my camera formats? (SD or HDD)
    Should I wait longer than the end of summer and get the leapord (whenever it comes out)?
    Should I plan on buying a printer at the same time?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Would you be willing to post a budget? It's always helpful so we can decide how you can best utilize your money. :)

3. shaley09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Preferably under $2,500 (without any printers or anything)

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Depends. Is portability worth a price premium for you?
    As good as you can afford at the time you are ready to decide.
    In general, Hard disk cameras are more difficult to work with on computer, and the compression is more sever, meaning possibly lower quality video. Does your Everio at least have a Firewire port? Apparently the stock iLife programs cannot deal with the MPEG-2 files from the camera directly - you have to enlist the help of other software Link Link Other members can give you first hand experience.
    You should get a computer when you need to use the computer. Not waiting for Leopard will cost you about $ 130. Waiting will cost you 2 - 4 months of lost productivity. Your choice.
    If you need a printer, research what you need, and be ready to decide. Quite often Apple runs a rebate program on an inexpensive inkjet if you buy it on the same invoice as the Mac. Also look for rebate offers on FinalCut Express.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you're willing to spend $2500 on a Mac, by all means get a MacBook Pro. If your into video editing and photos (and it sounds like you are) you're going to want the extra performance found in the Pro machines.

The 15" MacBook Pro for $2499 includes:
    2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1440 x 900 pixels
    2GB memory
    120GB hard drive1
    6x double-layer SuperDrive
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256MB SDRAM

If you qualify for an education discount you can most likely bring that price down to #2299 + tax.

Or... If you want to save some money, the $1999 ($1799 edu) 15" MBP is good as well.

I would wait to see what Apple has up their sleeves (at least for now).

Around late summer to early fall Apple usually has special educational offers, these can include: $100 off select printers and $150 off any ipod.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you don't need the portability, you can get a top-of-the-line iMac for the same price as a MacBook Pro with much lesser specs. Take that into considerations as you decide.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Generally, if you're going to college you need the portability.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Not quite. It can be nice to have, but it isn't needed at all.

9. Angrist macrumors 6502

Having internet access in class does NOT increase your productivity.

10. antonwalker macrumors member

Imac is nice and the printer like someone else noted can be free sometimes with purchase. Most likely the printer will not be top of the line, but it will be good for printing papers and whatnot. Vid editing doesn't need a good printer.