Wanting a used Macbook pro - what do I really need? Too many options!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frznrth, May 24, 2017.

1. Frznrth macrumors member

Hi
    I am wanting to buy a used Macbook pro for use at home. Mostly just to store pics, home movies, surf the net, Netflix and my kids would likely do some school work: power points, reports, etc. Nothing heavy duty.

Beyond knowing that I want a 15", at least 500 gb ssd, 1TB would be even better (happy to upgrade the memory if possible/needed) a battery that is either not very worn or replaceable and cost that tops out at about $1500 Canadian, I am not sure what I really need.

Are batteries and storage replaceable on all years? I'm reading conflicting things on this.

Retina sounds nice - would I really want this if I'm watching movies?

If I'm not doing that much with it how much RAM would be enough?

Better wifi on the late 2013 and newer sounds nice - would I notice a difference?

Same with the more efficient battery use of the late 2013s. Noticeable?

The increased speed of Thunderbolt 2 also sounds tempting. I would be backing up to a couple of external hard drives now and then - but would I notice the faster speed?

If I get all of the options that sound nice I'll likely be way over what I want to spend on a used one. Hopefully with your help though I can get what works for me.

Thanks for the time.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

No. Though the batteries are easily replaceable on 2012 non-Retina or earlier models, they're not deemed to be user replaceable by Apple. Any Retina model -- consider it impossible to do.

Yep.
    8GB. If you're looking at one with 4GB RAM then it'll be an older MBP which isn't worth purchasing.

Yes and yes.

Not really as your HDDs likely use USB rather than being TB. Any 2012 MBP or later has USB 3.

3. Frznrth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.
    So I shouldn't listen to the "apple repair guy" who says he can replace batteries on any year macbook pro??

How about SSDs - Can they be upgraded on any year?

I also forgot to ask what processor would be minimal for what I need.

4. Sheppard macrumors member

Oh he can, but they will charge you £199 to do so (rMBP's).

Is there any particular reason you would like a MBP and not an iMac?

5. Frznrth thread starter macrumors member

Actually he said he would charge around $150 Canadian. Doesn't sound too bad to me. Assuming that he actually can.

I have an old iMac in the basement. Only space for it. I really hate going down there to use it. Portability sounds very appealing.