Wanting advise on new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iwantanimac99, Aug 11, 2013.

1. iwantanimac99 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Forgive me for my innocence, i have just started to research apple products as a replacement for my current Toshiba Laptop.

I have had an iphone and ipad for a good while now, and like the way the systems work, and have had the opportunity to play around on a friends macbook pro while editing some family photos, and liked what i saw.

My laptop is coming to the end of its useful life so i thought i might switch over to either an imac or macbook pro.

My requirements are -

1. I work from home part of the week, and need something i can easily log into my work server (via citrix) with.
    2. I like the idea of having all my 'toys' synced together through one main system.
    3. I would like to get more involved in photography and photo editing after doing a beginners photography course (for personal amusement only!)
    4. I want something that will last a fair while. My current Laptop is not even three years old, and i don't want the hassle of having to buy a new computer every 2-3 years.
    5. I don't really want to spend too much more than $2,000.

I love the look of the imac, space is an issue at the moment, but in 6 months time we will be moving into our new house where i will have a dedicated office. I don't necessarily need the portability of the macbook pro, but it would be good (at least for the next six months) to be able to put the computer away on days i am not working. This is the only reason i am swaying to the macbook pro, however i feel i might regret not getting the imac as i like the idea of separate keyboard/mouse etc.

If i go with the imac, the 21.5 in and upgrade ram, do you think this will get me through the next 5 years?

Thanks heaps

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I'd get the 21.5" with 16GB of RAM, the RAM is not user upgradeable on the 21.5" models. You can buy a 27" refurbished from Apple and get a terrific machine for well under $2000 that comes with a full warranty (same as a new machine) is visibly identical and is also eligible for AppleCare. You can view what is available at the moment, the inventory changes quickly so check often.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

3. Serban Suspended

i should wait to see what the new 21.5" is offering, maybe a price drop as well

4. seroposi, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

seroposi macrumors member

Similar to your goodself I'm a hobbyist photographer and enjoy photo editing. I'm retired so have no work related requirements.

I bought my first mac, a mid 2011 21.5" last year and am totally pleased with it, with absolutely no regrets. It came with 4gb ram and upgraded this to 12gb. You can't upgrade ram with the current model as it has to be configured by Apple at time of purchase.

You'll receive invaluable advice both here and Apple Support Communities.

You mac should last for a 'few' years. I think possibly one main criteria in this respect is at some point in the future the computer may no longer be compatible with future software but this also applies to a pc and probably by that time one might be considering an upgrade anyway.

I would avoid having the magic trackpad instead of the magic mouse ( is/was an option if you buy from Apple). Nothing wrong with it but as you're intending to do photo editing you might want to consider buying an economic tablet ( I bought the Wacom Fun Touch/Pen tablet) also. It's very versatile in that you can use the Pen for editing work ( works great ) and use the Touch pad as a trackpad. I tried this but reverted to using the magic mouse as it provides more control than my finger particularly when moving files around.

Whatever you decide you will not be disappointed with a mac!