Wanting hardware advice on making my first Mac purchase.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eckthroi, Mar 10, 2011.

1. eckthroi, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

eckthroi macrumors regular

This is to be my first Mac. I am wanting a well equipped computer but more than that I want one that will easily last me at least 5 years. Is it wiser for me to wait and get the next macbook air refresh, or should I wait until next year on the revamp of the macbook pro?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may get better response to your thread with this tip:

How do I get help with a hardware or software problem?
    To edit your thread title, click the "Edit" button on your original post, then click "Go Advanced" and you will see where you can edit the thread title.

How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience

3. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'd recommend a MacBook Pro because it's a professional series notebook that's built to last, offering excellent performance from the start and there's more room to grow down the road as you can upgrade both the hard disk and the memory when needed. In addition, there are more connectivity options available.

Just my two cents.

5. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

yes- but the question I want to really know is:
    Does the macbook air have as long of a life span as the pro- will it last 5 years?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either one will last 5+ years if you take care of it.

7. mike2732 macrumors member

No it won't. You can't upgrade the Air like you can the Pro. (No HDD upgrades) Not to mention the Pro is just much much faster in general, and more future proof then the Air.

8. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

As GGJstudios mentioned, both would likely last 5 years or longer as long as you took good care of them. However, the MacBook Pro gives you the option to upgrade down the road which will extend its useful life for considerably less than a replacement machine would cost.

9. eckthroi thread starter macrumors regular

ok thanks- I am just trying to make it last as I do not want to have to replace it for 5 years. I will be saving over that time frame so I am not actually bothered by the cost of a complete replacement. I just want to know I will have a quality working machine that will not be worn down or too outdated five years from now. In case I want to hand it down to the wife.