Wanting Some Help With the New MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HowBoutIt?, Mar 2, 2011.

1. HowBoutIt? macrumors member

Hey-
    I am either getting a new MBP or the iPad (2nd version or 2nd edition, whatever it is called) I know they are probably used for different reasons, but it appears that the majority of what I use my old MPB for, the iPad has. Although I have not read-up on the new iPad, I did hear the 3/2 Apple Keynote.

Concerning the new MBP, would somebody or more then one person be so kind and explain to me what the following means to a teacher, who uses his MBP for teaching 2 fully online graduate courses. I will list the parts of the MPB that I do not understand if anybody can kind of "baby talk" about what these mean.
    1. The 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro now feature quad-core Intel Core i7 processors. And the 13-inch models jump to dual-core Intel Core i5 and i7 processors. What does it mean by the 13-inch jumps to Core i5 AND i7? the 13-inch has 2 processors? The i5 and i7 and the 15-inch just has the i7?

2. New Thunderbolt technology lets you connect high-performance peripherals and high-resolution displays to a single port—with data transfer rates up to 10 Gbp. Does this mean that on top of wanting to know in plain words what this means, that also, the peripherals will have to have this new technology to bet the faster rates, or what the MBP has will allow any peripheral to use the faster data transfer rates?

3. Are the new graphics mostly for gammers? AMD Radeon graphics on the 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro are up to 3x faster than those in previous models,** so you can take everything from games to CAD to HD video projects anywhere. what does this mean in plain words?

Thanks for any help.

If anybody wants to add anything about the new iPad, I am thinking about getting one of those too, but because I am a technological retarded, I really feel lost when trying to understand what the iPad does and how it hooks up to wifi. Is there just wifi or is there 3 or 4G too? It does come with Safari but is it the same version and type of Safari that is on the MPBs?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

1. That just means that the 13" comes with the option of either an i5 or an i7, the latter being a bit higher-end. They are actually like two processors in one, being dual-core, and the quads are like four processors. Bear in mind that more or faster processors doesn't necessarily mean that your computer will operate faster. It only means it will be faster if the applications you use take advantage of more power.

2. Thunderbolt will require the peripherals to have the technology as well to support it. However, it does support the already existing Mini DisplayPort standard, which allows the connection of external displays.

3. Again, the benefit of the faster graphics will mostly benefit in games and 3D modeling apps, as most other apps don't need all of the power they have to offer.

As for the iPad, you can get it with only wifi, or you can get it with wifi and 3G capabilities. There isn't a 4G model yet. With safari, it's similar to the browser on the MBPs, however, it cannot display flash content, which is what most internet videos are. Otherwise, it will operate very similarly.

3. simsaladimbamba

from http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html :
    That means, the 13" can be bought either with an i5 OR i7, the still only have one processor (CPU).
    Also take a look at the Apple Store: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTM3NjU5MzU

It will only work with the speed Thunderbolt (TB) offers if the external device has TB too. If you use a TB to USB 3.0 adapter, the limit will be USB 3.0, as USB 3.0 can't be faster than itself, as USB 2.0 can't be as fast as USB 3.0, otherwise it would not make sense to put new generations onto the market.

If you use a graphic intensive application (3D games, CAD, 3D software, compositing software, ...), you will get faster results due to the faster graphics card (GPU) than you did get with the older GPU.

What are your computational needs, maybe we can also offer tips there?
    Maybe even a 13" MB will suffice.

The iPad has a wifi antenna and card, like other Macs and PCs, in its housing, which works the same way as every other wireless card and helps you connect to wireless LANs (networks), just like you would with a laptop at that coffee place with four shops on one junction.
    Taking a look here, should show you, that Apple offers two iPad variants (regardless of storage capacity): one wireless LAN only capable device and one iPad than can connect to 3G and slower networks used for mobile telephones.
    And as iPads and iPhones use their own operating system (OS), called iOS, and Macs have theirs, called Mac OS X, Safari from iOS is different from Safari in Mac OS X.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

4. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

alust

thanks
    so when Safari does not have Flash, what do the sites look like that require flash? It seems like about 80% of the websites I visit have a video going, which I am sure requires Flash. any particular reason why there is no Flash in the iPad?

this may sound really stupid but with wifi and 3G, which one do you need internet service to use the internet? Both? Is the 3G something you need to sign up for and pay for? If you are at home, do you need an internet connection to use the internet? Again, for the 3G do you need to get that from a cell/data plan like Verizon, ATT, etc. sells?

are the new iPads hard to get set-up to use and how is their learning curve?

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

If you need flash and you don't have it, you'll just get a black window with text telling you to update flash. Many videos have HTML5 versions which the ipad plays just fine though.

Wifi exists in many places (likely your house, coffee shops, etc). In your house, you already pay for internet service. 3G is cellular data service, which will allow you to go online anywhere that you can get cellular reception (much more comprehensive than wifi). The 3G + Wifi version of the iPad is the one you need to get a cell/data plan for. The wifi version simply accesses already existing networks.

iPads are VERY easy to set up and use, and the learning curve is very small. I've seen toddlers use them easily, and my two little sisters in elementary school can both use them to browse the web, look at photos, etc without a hitch.

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

No flash because it's a resource hog and drains the battery, at least it did until the recent update. Plus, Steve hates it...

3G is a monthly subscription from a carrier. Wi-fi is free in the sense that if it's available you connect to it. That's not to say all wi-fi is free though. The iPads are pretty user friendly and intuitive. Can you use a smartphone, i.e. Android phone, iPhone, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry, or an iPod Touch? If so, you can use an iPad.

7. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

yea, most kids can use a computer much better than I can.

Man another Flash update? It seems like I just did a flash update. the new version is 10.2.152.33. Is it necessary to update a MBP right when a new Flash version comes out?

OK, so Wifi must be pretty risky? I thought when I connect y MBP to the internet that I was using WiFI? Don't laugh, I know sounds stupid. If I have this stuff in my MBP, why do I pay for internet access?

any recommendation on a good place to get the Wifi/3G data plan? is it a plan just for the iPad. If you have a 3G phone, a Mifi 3G 2200 and an iPad, do you need a 3G plan for each one or do they all use the same plan?

8. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what you mean by risky, but yes, wifi's coverage is a lot less broad, because you must be in range of a router/access point to use it. When you connect to the internet on the MBP you are using wifi. Everything has wifi nowadays. You pay for internet access because if you didn't pay, your wifi simply wouldn't work. Unless you were talking about 3G, in which case the advantage is simply that with wifi and 3G together, you basically have ubiquitous internet.

If you have a Mifi, definitely don't buy a 3G ipad, as the ipad can just use the mifi's connection.

9. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

Axu-

I keep hearing that people have a device and stand near coffee shops and other places where people use free wireless and can get personal information. I am not the person to know if this is accurate or even how likely it is to happen. that is what I mean by risky.

10. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

ACEdickson

Never used a smartphone, just the same MOTO I have had for 12 years. lol

what do you mean by No Flash? If videos on most websites do not come through without flash, why not have flash. I heard Mr. Jobs does not like Adobe (not sure if it is Adobe or the program flash, but I heard Adobe), how does he expect people using Safari to view videos. I ran into a website the other day from Nike that wanted shockwave, which I had no idea how to install so I just left it.

You do not update Flash when new versions come out? Teach me about this.

Txs

11. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

The iPad is pretty intuitive but I couldn't say for sure that you would pick it in an hour or if you would hate it. Technology all comes easily to me so I have a difficult time understanding people that have trouble with it, not to say that you would. It's probably the same way my sister feels with me and advanced math. She just get's it and I hated my statistics class in college, though i got an A because I worked my ass off.

I do think a big part of the lack of flash is Steve's loathing of it but it did kill battery life. The recent update has shown improvements but Apple doesn't have the functionality because the battery life could be drastically reduced and people would complain, even though it's their choice to view flash and lower their battery life.

You would if it was available on the iPad but it's not.

12. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

OK, I am confused. I guess it is all about more learning. Yes, I do have a lot of tolerance for new docs who can't see the sciatic nerve and don't move it to the side before they start dissecting tissue away to see if the nerve is impinged or not. But I love to teach, so if somebody asks and I know I like to teach. If they do not know and do not ask and I am involved on the case I speak out, but anyway.

So Flash… I thought all computers had to have Flash to view videos. I think all of my Macs came with Flash. I do not think I ever did the initial install of flash on a Mac. So it uses a lot of energy? I have wondered why this battery was supposed to get like 12 hours and the most I ever get on battery is 2 hours. I noticed the new MBPs say 8 hour battery life, if I remember reading that correctly. I thought; "they must have had to go back to the 8 hour battery or have some energy hogs in the new MBPs."

so in the Installed Plug-ins Safari page Apple calls Flash shockwave Flash. I always thought that was strange. But you are saying you do not have to have Flash to get the most out of the videos, am I understanding you right? would you not recommend updating Flash when a new version comes out?

I guess I thought I knew more about flash than I do.

I wish I was tech savvy. I have an Airport Extreme I have never used. I tried to hook it up and it had me so lost, I put it back in the box and kind of forgot about it until now. it seems no matter what I do to my computer, I mess it up. the first time I updated Flash I had no idea I had to uninstall the older version before I install the newer version. I would have thought when I downloaded the new version Adobe would have given me a little warning. But I installed the new version with the old version still installed and it totally messed up my MBP. But then I talk to people that say, what, just install the new update of flash and your good to go. they do it without uninstalling the older version first so I have no idea what the difference is.

I need a friend like you who knows computers. I need a new MBP but I am nervous to get one thinking about getting it all set up again. anyway, if you have the time, I would like to know this new info I am learning about Flash. Here as I said I thought we all needed it to view videos.

13. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

I wasn't implying anything and I have no problem trying to help you understand. I didn't mean to confuse you at all actually.

In my previous posts I was mostly referring to the iPad. Flash on a mac, or pc for that matter, had a history of being processor intensive up until the most recent version that came out last month. So, whenever your processor is being implemented at a high rate your battery life suffers. Your battery life is going to differ based on usage and settings but shouldn't be that poor.

The battery life Apple claims in the new model is a new battery life test they came out with when they released the new Macbook Air.

Flash is all over the web though there are other standards it is heavily used. I recommend updating to the current version whenever a new one is released, especially the most recent.

14. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

ACEdickson

I did not feel you were implying anything negative. I was just saying that I am the kind that love to teach. I should have been a teacher and maybe one day in my second career I will be. I love to learn but you would never guess that when I start talking about technology. it is just one area that is very hard for me to grasp.

I know what you mean by the latest version ofFlash (10,2,152,26) because that was a major security and upgrade. I was actually referring about the notice I got today about another update for Flash. it seems like I just did the 10.2 update and I am not sure when to do the update, since many people tell me to wait to make sure there are no major issues with the update. I do not even know how to update Flash like I explained. I did it one time and I did not uninstall the older version and after I installed the new version my computer crashed. I had no idea Adobe has a page full of Mac Instructions for updating Flash the correct way. so now since I do not remember how to do it, I am up for another challenge. Last time I installed this Adobe box with tabs, one being "notify me when the next update is available." Although I have not been notified lately, and I have no idea how I will be notified since the Global Settings Panel is now (I hope) somewhere in my computer. I can only find it when I right click a video and the option comes up for Global Settings and there is a lot of tabs one being that it is supposed to notify me and somebody told me it will also do the total update (uninstall and install) the new version.

what is your opinion of the new MBPs? What is your opinion of the new iPhone 4 from Verizon and I think also available from Apple and maybe ATT? I have read so much on the Verizon one because that is who I have had and I have a New Every Two with Verizon which takes of $50 but I do not understand the difference between CDME and GFS or some initials like this.

15. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

You should be able to upgrade flash without uninstalling, not sure why it's caused problems for you. Software manufacturers are always revising and updating their products so, even though you just updated, they may have found a bug(s) or just tweaked something. I'd have to read what they did to be more specific.

I think the new MBPs are great. What model do you have and are you looking to upgrade to?

I don't own an iPhone but I worked in the cellular industry and enjoy smartphones and technology. I like many things about the iPhone 4 but none of them are perfect. Verizon is a great carrier. The difference between GSM (AT&T & T-Mobile) and CDMA (Verizon & Sprint) is just the method with which data is transferred. Think of it like firewire and USB they are different but perform similar functionality, make sense?

16. jspec macrumors member

HowBoutIt? It would probably be better for you to go down to an Apple Store and ask your questions to an Apple representative. It seems as if the replys are confusing you a bit more.

17. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

That depends on what Apple Store employee you get. Many of them are completely incompetent.

18. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

That is so odd that you say too that I do not have to uninstall the old version of Flash to install the new version. I spent a lot of time on Adobe's forum when I had the big crash because I just downloaded the dmg download and the installer installed the new update, the big one before the most recent one that came out on 2/28. the Adobe phone support told me that do not listen to anyone who tells you you do not have to uninstall the old version. if you want to do things right, follow the Instruction sheet or download the Global
    Seting Manager, check in the first tab to notify you when a new update is available and it will do the entire update just like Adobe recommends to do it. However, my Global Settings Manager which if I was on my computer would come up here and if yo go here, if you have Flash yours should come up if you go to the same website. http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html

The Instruction sheet for the updates is here, http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/865/cpsid_86551.html#ostype=m,prob1=uninst,os=m10.6, and you click the circle for what you want to do and it will tell you how to update. it will also tell you what version you have and to go here http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ to find out what the latest version is.

I am looking to upgrade my MBP but mostly because of the recommendation from the school I teach a couple online courses.

Yes the way the different ways the data is transferred does make some sense when you say it like that but when I go to forums and hear how poor Verizons CDME is and you can't call internationally or you can't text and talk or use the internet and talk at the same time, things like that, make me think is that really bad like everybody seems to think. I would like a smartphone. I was thinking about getting the Verizon Android, the one with the I think green character called something like evo would be a good phone for me to try. I was also think the iPhone would be good but I am not good at figuring things out. I would probably either break it and have to get it fixed or not know how to use most of the stuff so I do not get to use the phone as it was intended to use.

the Adobe thing bothers me now because I would like to update to the update that just came out, and I do not remember the way to find out if the instruction sheet I sent you in the link is still good for this update.

anyway….

19. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

When it comes to the flash player you should be able to update it without uninstalling but as long as the videos are playing for you, and you have issues with updating, leave it be.

What you're referring to with CDMA isn't calling internationally. GSM is the standard used more worldwide so when you travel internationally, and have a phone from AT&T that uses a SIM card, you pull your SIM card out and buy a prepaid overseas and you're good to go. CDMA phones don't use SIM cards and don't work on GSM networks so that's people's gripe. There is a solution though because Blackberry and Motorola (Droid Pro and Droid 2 Global come to mind) make world phones. These phones have both a CDMA and GSM radio and include the necessary SIM card slot for overseas use.

Now, the CDMA texting and data simultaneously is true for most phones on CDMA but 4g phones are capable of both at the same time while on 4g. It's just the way the networks are built that it doesn't allow it while on 3g because both voice and data travel on the same level, except with 4g.

Make sense?

20. HowBoutIt? thread starter macrumors member

I could learn a lot from you

I did not leave Flash alone because it was a critical update to the recent major update they had. Once you start with Flash, to stay current on the videos to look the best and YouTube, etc it is best to stay current on the updates. I think Macs, s I said come with Flash installed so I was curious what you felt when you said something about Mr. Jobs not liking Flash.

I am looking at the new MacBook Pro but I do not understand most of it. I also anted to get a basic smartphone so I could use the internet on the phone but have it secured, not sure if I want to go to the iPhone but something maybe a little more easy to get to know.

Are you very knowledgeable with the new MacBook Pros? do you ever get the urge to help a person who is not very computer savvy? I understand you are busy but I could get some idea about a phone and the new Mac from you and maybe even a couple questions about my old MacBook. When I post questions on here, I usually get a smart ass and people who think I am joking around.
    Anyway, let me know if you ever donate any of your time for illiterate people? lol Do you have an iPhone 4?

Later.