Wanting the old; wanting the new

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benwiggy, Apr 9, 2013.

1. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Don't know if this forum is the right place, but I just wanted to comment on an observation I made:

On the forum, we have threads for people with old hardware who want to install Mountain Lion on it; and we have people with brand new hardware who want to install Snow Leopard on it!

Maybe they should trade...?

Alternatively, it shows that whatever new features and interfaces Apple introduces, some people will want them and others will want to leave them.

2. benwiggy, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013

benwiggy thread starter macrumors 68020

My point being a rejoinder to the "Apple is objectively ruining OS X" comments.
    Clearly, it's not as obvious to some as it is to you.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Just depends on certain mindsets and situations I suppose. Personally, I prefer the days before the smartphone/tablet craze took off, as well as before streaming media and cloud services became extremely popular. I don't particularly care for newer hardware, and I nearly despise newer software; I just wish my older things were more able to keep up and deal with the simpler tasks they once did with ease.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

OS X changes a lot in a very short amount of time. I think that's what frustrates people the most. Snow Leopard came out in 2009, and it's obsolete. A majority of developers have already stopped developing for it. Every release, a majority of the apps are broken until a developer fixes it, and sometimes that's never due to the excessive changes in the framework.

Some people wish they could stay on Tiger/Leopard like the people who stay stuck on Windows XP.

It's not really possible though, because most people are buying Macs for the first time in numbers that outweigh upgrades.