wanting tips/help on clean install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlexQQQ, May 17, 2014.

1. AlexQQQ macrumors member

My 2010 macbook pro 13 currently running mountain lion is running slow nowdays. I've read that if I do a clean install it should speed up a bit.

Can I use the original Snow Leopard installation DVD after wiping out my data then upgrade to Maverick? Or is there an easier way?

Also how do i easily migrate the settings and folders that I do want to keep after clean install?

Anyways, thank you in advance.

2. kelon111 macrumors 6502

If you don't have an SSD , you should look into getting one.

SSDs are much faster than HDDs and don't have the fragmentation issue that HDDs have.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Make a complete system backup before you do this.

The easiest way would be to go to the App Store and download Mavericks to your Mac and quit the installer when it launches. This will leave the Mavs installer in your /Applications folder.

Then use a 8GB USB key with this app to make a USB key installer.

Then option key boot to the USB key and start Disk Utility and erase the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) then quit Disk Util. Now click reinstall OS X and wait for the install to complete. After it reboots you can setup your account.

If you want a true clean install, there is no easy way to do this. You will need to manually move all your data and settings back to the new install. You will also need to reinstall all your apps.