Wanting to buy a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetgirl85, Dec 19, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I am looking to buy a MBP in the next couple of weeks as the backtoschool sale will be on soon here and would like to save a couple of bucks and I think the current generation would suit my needs. I am just a basic user and mainly do word processing tasks/itunes/surf net/parallels running windows 7 for my statistics program.
    One thing I do is multitask and have a million things open at once. Would it be worth to upgrade to 8gb of ram?
    http://www.streetwise.com.au/memory_results.php?mem_id=56& would this do the trick if I bought the standard 4gb?
    Secondly, am I better off with the mid range and upgrading the ram or going the 2.8 15"

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4GB should be more than sufficient for your needs.

3. segers909 macrumors regular

Go with 4GB of ram and get a ssd. It will make your MacBook scream. If you need more storagespace, you can use optibay. There is also a cheap alternative to optibay. You can find a giant thread about it using search. I have it installed: the optibay alternative cost me 30$, the external SuperDrive case 20$, and a 64Gb ssd 130$, all of eBay. My MacBook now boots in about 20 seconds, and feels blazingly fast comparing to the MacBooks of my friends.

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Well done on choosing a Badboy Pro, you have made the right choice. Enjoy it and your studies.