Wanting to buy an iMac G4 - which one? (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adom, Sep 19, 2008.

1. adom macrumors 6502

Ok,

So back when the iMac G4's were out, I was younger (obviously) and couldn't afford one. By the time I could, I had a G5 -- which I've since upgraded to the latest and greatest 20".

Now I have more dough, I'd love to get my mitts on one of those iconic computers which, as a teenager, I yurned for so much! :eek:

Question: I don't have a clue about the G4 series - I only came into the mac world in the late G5 era. So my question is, if im looking to buy a G4 iMac, what processor am I going for? What variations are there apart from screen size?

I really would like a great condition 17" and having lost out on buying one on ebay today :mad:, wonder if anyone knows of a good place to look in the UK? Or alternatively if any UK members have one they don't want any more! lol

Thanks for any help! :D

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

The last one Apple made was a 20" 1.25 GHz.

I think these should sell for around $250-350? Good luck with the search. I used to design on one of these at my old Uni. Good Machine.

3. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Ha! I had the money to spend on one back in the day. But I was clever enough to see that I could get an eMac with nigh on the same spec for less than half the price. The prices on those iMac G4s really were on the high side - flat screen or not.

I even think that my eMac had a faster processor than the iMac G4 at the time, but I may be wrong. Still have the eMac and it works great. Cost £700 about 5 years ago.

4. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

sorry to say this now. but i have one :D:D
    its excellent . i dont need it though ...:S
    look around on ebay there are some really sexy 17 inch ones :p

5. G5power macrumors 6502

Look for the later models that use PC2100 memory. That will be much less expensive to upgrade then the earlier G4 iMacs that were using the older PC133/100 memory.

I believe the base memory was typically 256MB and with only one expansion slot the older memory will limit how far you can expand the memory.

If you intend to keep the G4 iMac around and actually use it you will want to max the memory out.

Another consideration is that there were 700 & 800 MHz iMacs and those will not officially support Leopard.

6. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tips. Ideally I want to use it to play music off and surf the web. nothing more really - I have the new imac for that. do they all come with airport / bluetooth. Because that is a must.

Oh and how easy is it to replace the hard drive?

thanks again for the help....now if only I could find one lol :rolleyes:

7. scottintosh macrumors member

I have a 17" 1 GHZ G4, and it did not come with an Airport card, or bluetooth. I bought a refurb Airport from the apple website for it.

Those were BTO options, I believe.

8. G5power macrumors 6502

Most of the G4 iMacs will not have bluetooth or airport.

There are wireless options that plug into USB.

9. The Awesome macrumors member

The G4 iMac is my favorite Apple product, design-wise. :D

10. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

wireless usbs arent the greatest tho since it cant really share music and just connect to the web and to mention they can be really slow at times

11. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh I see. I wonder if the airports are still available anywhere. I suppose the bluetooth I could get a bluetooth adapter. Really I just need wireless on it - just for the internet, as the router is away from where this might be.

Or can I hook it upto my Alu iMac and share its connection? Hmm I go investigate lol :p

12. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

well yea u can use a wireless usb im just saying some can get as expensive as a airport card which u can buy on ebay at 100

13. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok. Thanks for the heads up. Ive got my eye on a 17", buts an 800mhz not the 1.25 which I lost out to before. But again, its just for the sake of music and internet browsing. I assume Tiger can run on it, even if Leopard needs higher than 800?

14. chapmac macrumors member

Hi - I have a 17" G4 imac which is about 4 1/2 yers old now. Still works perfectly and still looks absolutely fab.

My thoughts. Buy the best one you can afford, the later models will run Leopard quite happily and do anything you want to do. the 17" and 20" were wide screens and imo are much better for it. Also I think (and I'm sure some one will correct me if not) these machines were the only ones to come with the Superdrive DVD writers.

- Bluetooth was indeed a BTO option so a dongle will have to do there.

- Wireless There is a user slot in the bottom to add the airport card, its still available from the apple store, just pop it in and away you go. here's the link....
    http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M8881Z/A?mco=MTIxODk3Mw

- Memory. Go for a a 1Ghz or 1.25ghz model and despite what it says on Apple's technical pages these machines can take up to 2GB. Apparently this is because at the time no one made suitable 1Gb sticks!
    However - these Imacs are odd, they have one 'user accessible' memory slot which is easy to get hold of, and one 'factory slot' which involves a lot more disassembly and use of thermal paste. I haven't been brave enough to delve in here, but I have upgraded the user slot to 1Gb, plus the standard 256Mb. Works well on this and is just about right for running leopard.

I use mine as a media machine, occasional surfing and TV, works a treat.

Best of luck

15. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Getting To The Hard Drive

getting to the hard drive requires bravery. ive done it, just to see. you have to open literally EVERYTHING, unscrew everything, there are a million screws
    its located above the disc drive in the dome thing.
    look on youtbe, there are some tutorials on it =]

16. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Yeah I agree, I'm looking for the best I can afford really. Im holding out for a decent 17" 1ghz/1.2ghz? At least then I can use my leopard disc and update it.

It going to be used similar to what you said chapmac, just for general browsing and maybe music. Im actually thinking of letting my brother use it whilst at college. He's just started and would like a computer of his own. Then, when I get my own place, take it with me as a spare computer/show piece.

Annoying missed out on 2 17"ers the other day. What kind of price should I be reasonably willing to pay for one these days? Im seeing them go for £150-200.

17. chapmac macrumors member

You should be able to get a 17" for £200ish, the 20" are much rarer and you'll have to pay more if you can find one. There are normally a few around on Ebay. Might be worth hanging on for one with bluetooth though - I've got a wireless mm and new style keyboard with mine and it looks cool....:)

18. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

There's a 20"er on there now for a buy it now of £500. Im not going to pay that lol. I'de be happy with a 17" bluetooth, I can always get an airport later....or as I've just found on PC World's website...an airport express for £15!!!!

I'll keep plugging away at ebay. Cheers for the tips