Wanting to buy iMacs?? Need Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gsxr370, Dec 10, 2007.

1. gsxr370 macrumors member

We are looking to buy a few newer computers at my business and would like to convert to macs. The problem is we used Microsoft Office with excel, word, and access. The office for macs doen't have near as much software as for a pc. Is there a way we can get office 2007 for the mac. Every other program we use here can be used on a mac but the main one we use. I DO NOT want a pc anymore.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Microsoft Office for Mac is almost exactly the same, with the exception of Access. :confused: There are database alternatives to Access.

If you really must have Access, you can use Parallels for when you need to run it.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

This will boot Windows on an Intel Mac, inside a window on the Mac, inside which you can run Access.

Yay.

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Why don't you get office for mac and File Maker

4. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

im new to all this mac stuff. What exactly is filemaker. Im sure i could do a search and find the info too.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

6. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

By that definition it wouldn't be 'very good' then. Access is garbage. I use it every day at work.

7. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

You can buy it or download it for free : openoffice

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You Know what i meant it's actually supposed to be a lot better but i wouldn't know as i have never used it My Father liked it Though.

9. gsxr370 thread starter macrumors member

What if a customer sends a file to us to view from a pc. Can we view access databases from a mac.

10. TheQuestion macrumors regular

Only if you are running VMWare Fusion or Parallels to virtualize Windows and Access. They could export from Access to a CSV and then import into Filemaker, but that can get messy.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Options

OpenOffice: free, compatible with latest office format. May not be 100% polished, but it is free.

Apple iWork 08: compatible with the latest office format.

You can also purchase the current version of Mac Office, and receive the Mac Office 2008 for free (or a minimal disk fee).

You can run it using virtualization. Three options: CrossOver (demo available), VMWare, Parallels.

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

VMWare fusion is where it's at. Less problems than P.D with way less development time thus far.

13. GStreakT macrumors member

I actually had the same question. I want my parents to get a Mac 'cause the PC is just so broken down (shame it has a nVidia GeForce 5200 sitting in there though) and I feel sorry they're putting up with that ridiculously slow machine while I surround myself with MacBooks and MacBook Pros. They use the PC for email, and Microsoft Office. I read that Neo Office and Open Office provide nice alteratives but are they fully copmatible with .doc and .xls in terms of importing and exporting?

Also, I mentioned my parents use email, but not Outlook Express--another third party app. Is there a way to trasnfer address books from this program to Mac Mail?

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Why does everyone in this thread keep ignoring Microsoft Office for Mac 2008

http://www.macoffice2008.com/

Apple iWork is awesome by the way and is fully compatible as well.

15. GStreakT macrumors member

'cause you got to pay for it? Don't get me wrong. I have MS 2004 on my MacBook but I found it really overpriced as compared to iWork. I can't afford to pay for iWork yet (yes, even though it's only for $79). I just know there's better (and free) software out there.

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yes You can.

17. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

If you buy a load of Macs but end up installing Windows on them, you're gonna have exactly the same problems you'd get with any Windows machine... except you'll have paid twice the price. You need to think carefully.

Can Filemaker or Open Office open and edit Access databases and applications, making use of their full functionality, without converting them to a native Filemaker format?

SL

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I didn't know free was a prerequisite of the OP.

I would hardly call free alternatives like OpenOffice.org better than iWork, if that's what you meant by that.

iWork '08 = best $79 ever spent

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, I have some practical questions for you. Firstly, how many employees do you have?

Secondly, how old (for the most part) are the ones who will be working with Access (and its replacement)?

The reason I ask is because if you have a fair number of employees (say more than 12) you might find yourself spending a lot of time teaching them how to use the new database software. If it's even moderately different from Access, count on some confusion, frustration, etc, in the beginning. Granted this will go away with time, but remember, it will be there for a while.

The reason for the second question is because older employees are more resistant to learning new software. I know it's stereotypical, blah, blah, but it's true. Keep this in mind.

Now, I don't recommend going with OpenOffice (or NeoOffice). Sure it's got the Access equivalent, but it's slower and if you're serious about running a business, you can't have that. iWork is nice, but really won't do it for you. I suggest keeping Office (the next version will be out in January-apparently :rolleyes:), so wait until then if you do decide to go Mac. There are plenty of good reasons to keep Office. Your employees know it, new employees will know it, it's fairly consistent when moving large files (yeah yeah iWork can export, but come on, let's be realistic about this), etc. Trust me, you'll want Office there. ;):)

In the end, I have to ask, why are you desiring to ditch PCs? I know I'm about to be flamed for this, but what if the reason you want Macs doesn't actually exist? Then it would have been a waste of time, energy, and money.

20. GStreakT macrumors member

I meant NeoOffice and Open Office being better than MS. I've been working with Word ever since I had to type a paper in my 5th or 6th grade, but now it seems a little expensive. Then again, I'm a uni student so everything seems expensive.

I bought iWork 06 for my MacBook=P But dont you think its time Apple started including it for free with iLife? I would understand if GarageBand was a trial software. Even tho iWork is cheaper than MS, it's one of those things that people assume until they find out they have a limited trial.

I know this is going at a tangent. Just wanted to clarify few things instead of starting a whole new thread =)

21. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Other than Access, I can say you should have no issues. I set up an office that was all macs, with Office 2004, and we were generally communicating with people on PCs. there was never an issue of file compatability with any office program, except when people left off the .doc extension (which you can set to be included by default). We even had entourage running off of an exchange server (actually Kerio's exchange-like server, which is a lot cheaper). And it worked quite well. (In fact, I'd say Entourage is superior to Outlook in virtually every respect except for a few Exchange Server features that are not supported).

I don't know what to say about Access, since I've never used it. But otherwise it will be entirely seemless. (Only other thing is if you use any apps that need Internet Explorer you could have some problems)

22. gazcaz macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    slightly differnet question but ive just bought a mac and am trying out the office that came with it. In excel the tool bars are not attached to the main window. anyone know how to solve this?
    cheers
    gaz

23. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Oh OK just so long as we clear that up.

iWork free with Macs would be nice, but not merging it with iLife. It's still an incredible deal at $79.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Go to:

View:

Toolbars:

And then you'll see a whole list of them. I think the one you want is called "Formatting"