wanting to buy macbook @ apple store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cassiepaige, Mar 28, 2010.

1. cassiepaige macrumors newbie

I am in need of a new macbook and because I don't have a debit/credit card (I don't trust myself with one) I need to go to the Apple store to buy it. However I wanted to get more RAM and a bigger hard drive. Is this possible to do at the Apple store or can you only buy the basic macbook?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Although Apple is not the best place to buy RAM, the Apple Store did put more in for me the last time I bought a Mac. I do not know about the HD. Call and ask.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

If you don't want to buy it online then go to the store and buy the one they have and upgrade the HDD and RAM yourself...you will save money too...and upgrading RAM and HDD doesn't void your warranty

ps - if you order it online you can also buy a refurb one...you will save money on that too...
    ask someone (maybe your parents) if they can order it for you online

and do consider buying apple care...it would be worth it...you can buy it anytime within one year of purchase

cheers :)

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

You can only get more RAM in the stock config of the Macbook you want. The HDD can't be upgraded at all in the store.

You can however, upgrade it yourself, or find a certified tech center in your area.

6. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

The memory can be easily upgraded aftermarket. If you absolutely cannot order it custom from the online Apple store, might I suggest looking into a small form factor external hard drive? There are some extremely small ones that are quite portable.

For example, a quick search on Newegg yielded something like this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186134

7. cassiepaige thread starter macrumors newbie

Might be time to get a debit card. I don't feel comfortable upgrading the HD or RAM myself.

Thanks though!

8. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Not that this will apply to a purchase at apple, but just a reminder that debit cards do not carry the same fraud protections that credit cards do (but you knew that ;)).

9. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

Go to the store, buy apple gift card with cash, go home and use gift card online. :)

10. cassiepaige thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, yes I know that. But credit cards make it a whole lot easier to overspend and I looooove shopping online (mainly so I can track packages). Too bad I cant buy a $2000 Visa Giftcard

The perfect solution! If only Apple wasn't 3 hours away...

11. cassiepaige thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it possible to buy them for that much? I just looked around a little bit and couldn't find an answer.