wanting to buy new machine.......

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sebgreen, Jan 12, 2009.

1. sebgreen macrumors regular

Currently have a 1 year old MB white plastic 2.4Ghz 4GB ram..... going to give it to my mother. Lucky her...

Wanting to use my student discount before i graduate in a few months....... thinking of getting a MBP 15 inch.

probable spec:
    2.8Ghz
    4GB ram
    320GB 7200 ATA

what do you rekon? or should i get a top spec new shape MacBook....?

I would wait for the 17 inch MBP but i think 17inch is too big, i already have a 20inch ACD and use that in a dual screen set up, i want mobility so think the 15inch would be better but am not so sure....

Any suggestions? Tips? Advice would be much appreciated in helping me to make my mind up :)

Thanks in advance.
    Seb

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, first, what do you do? Does/do your work/needs warrant a MacBook Pro?

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I think from your signature, you are an Apple junkie. I am sure you know best for your own tastes. I think the new 17" MBP looks amazing myself. I am going with the Air on the next revision. I love my unibody MB as well. There is a case to be made for any of them, figuratively speaking. I don't think anyone is not worthy just because not a "Pro." It all comes down to screen size, hardware, and portability needs. Get whichever one you want the most, especially since you are graduating and get a discount.

Good luck... and congrats.

4. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I think the 15" MBP suits you considering that the 17" is a bit big and you already have an ACD. It can handle the intensive work like video editing, photoshop etc...I'd say go for the 15" MBP :)!

5. sebgreen thread starter macrumors regular

Got a new machine! Thanks for advice

Firstly thanks for all your advice.

I got a 15inch MBP, 2.53ghz, 4gb ram , 320gb hard drive

I chose it over the 2.8 in my first post because it was £200 more for 2.8. That's £200 for around 200mhz which I don't think will be a noticable differnce. Also if it goes pear shaped I would have to wait for a new one to be delivered as the 2.8 is custom order only. The 2.53 is carried by the retail stores so if it does break I can just take it in and walk out with a new one. Much less hastle.

I'm very pleased with it!

Seb

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A great choice, well done and congrats on your new MBP. May both you land your new MBP live long and prosper together.

Cheers and good luck