Wanting to convert to MAC, whats to know?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrtherm, Jun 28, 2008.

1. mrtherm macrumors newbie

so iv been a pc user for the past 10 odd years and im getting more and more interested in converting to a mac, but i still cant seem to persuade myself to do the change. I also just upgraded my PC a few months ago, so i wouldnt wanna waste some of the hardware.
    my current pc setup is
    dualcore 2.8
    3.2TB harddrive
    8800gt
    audigy2 soundcard.

My biggest worry is the hard drives. I would like to simply use my hard drives instead of having to purchase an extra one. Iv yet to go in store to ask about this but somebody here might have experienced it before.
    My GFX card is also something i would love to use in a mac. It still is quite the benchmark card so i wouldnt mind using it in a mac.
    Iv searched for mac drivers for both parts but cant seem to find any which is a dissapointment on the manufacturers behalf.
    Id be using the MAC for music production (logic) and graphics applications.
    Are there like any mac forums which have custom drivers for such products?
    If these hardware were connected to a MAC what would happen? would make try find suitable drivers for it to work or would it just bum out?

Id also probably use Bootcamp to run windows aswell on it for those times where youd specifically need a PC (playing games) so having both that GFX card and soundcard would come in handy while running in windows mode. So id love both to be supported in mac aswell.

They are my main issues with converting. Would anyone else be able to recommend any other possible options with what i have in mind?
    thanks.

2. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

those hardrives and the graphics card are compatible with a mac, i'm pretty sure. The only mac you could put those into is a mac pro. And you should have zero issues especially when you are running windows in bootcamp.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As long as the drives are compatible with the interface on the computer in question, you don't need a driver. Assuming they're just normal SATA drives, you just plug them in and they're automatically detected.

The 8800GT is a slightly more complicated issue. Generally, Mac users don't install drivers for video cards per se. They're either supported at the OS Level or they're not. Also Apple has traditionally used different firmware on video cards than other manufacturers. The way I understand this is that, when you buy a "Mac" version 8800GT, it will work in a current Mac Pro without any modification or drivers. It will also work in Windows on that Mac using the drivers from the Apple Bootcamp driver disc. Without the "Apple" version firmware, however, the card won't work, at least in OS X. It might not work in Windows either (since Apple uses a different kind of firmware for the motherboard than Windows computers do). Often, though, it is possible to reflash the firmware on the video card and make it work.

Check this thread out as a starting point for more info.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434092

4. mrtherm thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes im definitely thinking of a MacPro.

I think the most logical way in regards to the GFX card is just to get one with the MAC, if like you said the card will work on mac and bootcamp with no issues it seems the way to go.

looks like i got a number of pc parts to sell..

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The only way to use that graphics card is to turn your PC into a hackintosh. Youll be able to use all your current stuff except the Audigy2 (youll have to use onboard sound in OSX, but can still use the Audigy in windows). PC video cards do not work in real macs without flashing them, which doesnt work on any but a few specific models.

Unless you really want mac hardware then I would just turn that into a hackintosh since its so new, especially if it has a motherboard that works really well in OSX.