Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garrettjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
I've founded a research company last year, and my team has come up with a great idea for an application for Apple's line of iPods and iPhones. I know the concept is technically possible - but where should I start from a hardware perspective? I would like to do everything in-house. Would Xserve fit the bill? And for database storage, would that piece do? Of course, I would opt for additional storage on top of the three terabytes. The application is not content intensive... photos and audio, but any video files wouldn't be enabled until later on.

Could I also use the Xserve to host Final Cut Server? (This is really just for me.)

Thanks!

rossipoo

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
For developing the application itself, you need nothing more than a mac computer with dev tools installed. It sounds like you want a hosted database too. There really is no way that anyone could estimate your needs save the designers of the application. You could just rent a server while developing and testing, and then buy the equipment you need after you have calculated the needs better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.