Wanting to format and install Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jordygreen, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

So I have recently purchased one of the new retinas for myself. But my old MacBook Pro I am giving to you my lil bro for xmas. I do however want to format and install Mavericks on it for him. I got this MBP way back in 2011 so the OS X with the disc is Leopard I think.

What is the easiest way of going about a format and installing of Mavericks?

Thanks for any help guys!

2. dedzombie macrumors newbie

3. durhamj, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

durhamj macrumors member

Okay, here is another method. Not pretty, buts lets you go back if there are problems with the Mavericks install. For this method you will need free space on the HD to create a new partition large enough to hold Mavericks and all the user installed apps you wish to use in Mavericks.

1- Create a new partition, (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)) at least 40GB. Verify disk permissions and fix disk issues if any.
    2- Download the Mavericks upgrade.
    3- Run the upgrade and select the new partition as the target drive for the installation.
    4- When its done I believe it will ask if you wish to transfer apps, or user accounts from elsewhere, the Leopard partition, BUT I believe you can skip and it will let create one user/admin account.
    5- Let it continue the install, and restart. If it doesn't boot into Mavericks, then go to System Preferences -> StartUp Disk and select the new Mavericks partition and reboot.
    6- Play with it for a few hours or days. Download any missing drivers (ie printers, scanners)

*** Point of no return ****

7- Use Disk Utilities to remove the Leopard partition. Create and format a new one in its place. Verify disk permissions and fix disk issues if any.
    8- Download SuperDuper!, run it to create a bootable mirror backup of the Mavericks partition to the newest partition.
    9- Reboot from this newest. Verify Mavericks is operating as expected.
    10- Use Disk Uitilies to remove the 1st Mavericks partition (the bottom one in the partition map). Then resize the newest Mavericks partition to use the disk space that was just freed up.

Done. I know, not pretty.

I was forced to do this on a MBA that had disk errors on the SnowLeopard partition that couldn't Repair.