Wanting to get the iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by atheos13, Sep 20, 2007.

1. atheos13 macrumors newbie

Currently I'm owning a dying comp that I've put Ubuntu onto to make it at least somewhat useful, I find myself spending most of my time, though on my mom's iBook and I've found that I completely love the Mac operating system and it's the only one for me. I'm a 16 year old high school student, and I'm very interested in purchasing the new iMac design within the next 6 months.

I know that I won't be buying the machine before leopard is released, and I know I'm going for the basic configuration of the lowest costing 20" display. I want to get it sometime between November and late January, though the only reason I have to wait is that I'd truly love Penryn to be in it, or if it could just reach the energy star qualifications, gold that is, then that would really speed up my incentive to buy. I don't plan on buying Mac Office '08, so that's not an issue.

So my question is what's the consensus on a ballpark for the nest update? Are we expecting Penryn to be in the very next iMac or just the MacBook Pro. I'm aware that Intel tends to release processors in macs sometimes before it launches the processors for the general market. If no one thinks the iMacs are going to be getting the processors by late January then I may as well just jump into the market as soon as November rolls around.

2. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

iMac's were just upgraded... like, a month ago... they for sure will not be updated with the new processor by late Jan, if anything... they will be updated around this same time next year...

3. atheos13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been paying attention to the guide for months, as I was anticipating the launch of the new design and I believe I can trust in Apple to not have to wait 11 months for a new update, especially since the new processors will be coming out early next year and to blatantly ignore that kind of thing just isn't Apple's style. There average has now been bumped up to 6 months per update which would indicate an early February update, but after such a long lull between updates as we've just seen I'd hope Apple might reciprocate by giving a more normal update period, something like five months, landing Penryn in the iMac and MacBook Pro both at Macworld.

Since the two computers have a long history of sharing components it would only make sense to have something this big appear in both computers at the same time so as not to anger the pro laptop users or any general desktop users. So I think I'll wait till Macworld rolls around and if there's no iMac showing, and no whisper of one coming in the month after then I'll go ahead and seek out a refurb of what was released in August and I should be happy.