Wanting To Install Windows XP on MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by xSOTYx, Apr 2, 2008.

1. xSOTYx macrumors member

Hey all,

I currently running Tiger on my MacBook C2D 2.0 with 2GB of RAM. I would like to install Windows XP Professional to play a game called 'Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst'. What I would like to know is am I better off getting Leopard and using boot camp for the install or using Tiger with VMware Fusion?

The game is quiet a few years old now so doesn't have really high specs etc. Id really like to know which one of the two would be better for playing a game like this and which would serve me better?

I only want to install Windows for this game and nothing else.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the game specs:
    http://www.psobb.com/guide/pregame/conf.php

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

If the game requires any 3D at all, you are better off running it natively via BootCamp. VMWare Fusion has come a long way since beta 2 (when I started using it) but it still isn't quite there.

You could always investigate Crossover, see if that game is supported by it. It is sort of a cross between BootCamp and VMWare Fusion in terms of 3D support and abilities.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

1. Bootcamp can be used in either Tiger or Leopard.
    2. Fusion can be used in either Tiger or Leopard.
    3. For gaming, it's always better to use Bootcamp.

4. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Use Bootcamp, you'll be glad you did. ;)

5. xSOTYx thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Thanks for the replies! I didn't think you could get Boot Camp for Tiger since Leopard was released? The game is 3D so I would be best to get Boot Camp for it. Could someone please tell me if there is a way I can have Boot Camp on Tiger?

6. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

I knew it was in Beta when on Tiger but after Leopard was released boot camp on tiger was no longer supported by Apple. Now that may not necessarily mean you can't get boot camp on it. I just don't know that. It definitely comes with Leopard though! Sorry I can't be more helpful. Best of luck! ;)

7. xSOTYx thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for your help. Glad I didn't rush out and get VMware Fusion now. I'm going to get a copy of Leopard tomorrow so I can install Windows on Boot Camp to run that game! I imagine by using Boot Camp you also get more power out of the MacBook preferred to running OSX and then VMware with Windows on top of that!

Again thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

When Apple released Leopard, they pulled the Boot Camp Beta download off of their website. I can't remember if the software has physically expired which does not allow new Boot Camp partitions to be created (if you have an existing Boot Camp partition, it will still work).

Parallels now supports some Direct3D acceleration in virtualization, as well.

9. ledoyle macrumors newbie

Error starting Parallels on MacBook

Hi, I'm trying to run Parallels on a MacBook and getting the following error message. <window root>\system32\hal.dll "Please re-install a copy of the above file." Looking for help on correcting this message. Thanx.

10. John01021988 macrumors 6502

Well, all I can tell you is that last time that error appeared on my windoze machine, I had to reinstall everything....... I tried to copy the above file into the system folder again, but it turned out it was a different version and the error list went endless.........

11. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

ledoyle,
    I had that same problem with my MacBook.

After much confusion, I found a solution that might solve your problem too.

I believe the problem started when I installed Windows by zapping the Boot Camp partition and using the XP installer to partition and format the disk. Whenever I did that, I got the "hall.dll" file error, then another one that said "disk error". Then I tried something else. Instead of creating a new partition with XP, I just formatted the Boot Camp partition as NTFS and left the partition details alone. After that, no errors, and XP is running well.

Give that a try, and hopefully it will solve your problem. For more info, I wrote about it on my blog at http://www.wesg.ca/2008/02/install-windows-after-getting-the-disk-error-message/