Wanting to learn more on Linux.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I am using a Mac and want to run Linux on it by emulating or however but I don't know what Linux Version to get, there are soooo many just like RedHat, I want a easy and free one with a nice GUI and not just a text Interface. I have heard about Mac to Mac but what do you recommend? thanks.

iQuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2005
I am going to use OSX and hopefully run it through OSX.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
This question comes to mind. Is there such a thing as Virtual Mac? That would be ideal for this.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
considering that OS X kernel is darwin (free bsd with some Mach stuff) which is unix i.e. linux like. it is basically the same thing. newbies won't notices the differences. the only difference is OS X has a nice aqua gui and can run x-windows as well. you can also install KDE, one the standard GUI for linux on OS X, as well as compile many other linux packages.

i don't believe there is a linux emulator for os x. it would be kind of pointless because many of the libraries they share are the same. if you really want to run linux dual boot a PPC verison. http://linuxiso.org has many different PPC ISO.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
vniow said:
Well, there's this but things are pretty unsupported, it looks good for an alpha although I haven't tested it yet.

Looks promising. Why don't you try it out iQuit, and tell us how it works :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.