Wanting to play steam games for windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nolegirl, Feb 10, 2015.

1. nolegirl macrumors regular

Hi all. For the last hour, I have been searching threads and the internet for the best route to take and decided that I would just ask. I have an early 2014 Macbook Air 13 inch, 4GB Ram and 128gb drive. I would like to run Windows 7 (or 8) so I can play Steam games (nothing heavy, but light casual games). I have recently became a big fan of Steam games and unfortunately, most of them are Windows only. My fiance' has a Windows 8 laptop, but, I love my Mac and want to use my own computer.

I know about Boot Camp, which the consensus says that's best, but, I've also read issues with trying to use a USB stick to load Windows onto it. And to be honest, I'm scared to try it for fear I may screw something up. I don't necessarily CARE that I have to reboot to switch, but I'd rather not have to. However, I'd like the best performance under the circumstances.

For my purposes, would I be better off using Parallels 10, or Boot Camp? From what I read, using Parallels only creates a virtual world and some programs will lag in performance, but I'd love being able to switch back to OSX without rebooting. Also, If Boot Camp is the better choice, would I need to purchase a downloadable version of Windows, versus using my fiance's computer to get Windows (I read that's how it works using Parallels)? Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. dyt1983, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

3. nolegirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Yeah, it came with the Windows software, and I'd rather not try to get around it so, that's fine I can purchase it. Now it's just a matter of how to get it on my Air whether using Boot Camp or Parallels.

4. dyt1983, Feb 10, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

5. nolegirl thread starter macrumors regular

Am I able to do this with a downloadable copy of Windows, if I purchased it online? I'd rather not have to purchase and external drive in addition to the Windows software.

6. dyt1983, Feb 10, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

7. motrek macrumors 68020

External DVD drives are ~$30 on Amazon and are convenient to have sometimes.

As long as you don't purchase the Apple one for $100, it's not a huge expenditure.

8. nolegirl thread starter macrumors regular

So, then, Boot Camp is a better way to go than Parallels?

9. motrek macrumors 68020

I haven't used either but my understanding is that Parallels is a virtual machine setup whereas Boot Camp allows you to run Windows natively on the computer.

If you're playing games, I expect that Boot Camp will be more compatible with games and give you better performance than trying to run both operating systems at the same time.

10. David58117 macrumors 65816

I finally did bootcamp a few weeks ago (after slightly wanting to but dreading it for 2 years).

Honestly it wasn't too bad. I used a spare 16GB USB drive and had no difficulty. I just googled how to on my iPad and ran through the steps. There were a few youtube videos on it as well.

I think this was one of the ones I used:

http://youtu.be/2S5YM-TQ-nc

Anyway - turns out I really don't like windows. The track pad control absolutely sucked.

Good luck.

11. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

What about Wine?
    I don't recommend Bootcamp unless you have the disk space to spare.