Wanting to Replace my Laptop with an iPod Touch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scem0, Sep 8, 2007.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I have a powerbook that I'd like to sell. Having a computer where I live only makes me procrastinate and get nothing done. My school has a 24 hour lab if I need a computer.

But it would be nice to be able to read x, or to look up y, or to check my mail from home. So, the iPod touch is a good option for me. It has enough functionality for the things I need to do, but it doesn't have so much functionality that I'll be tempted to dilly dally on it.

The dilemma is that I won't be able to update my songs, podcasts, etc. I can't imagine there being a good way around this, but it cant hurt to put up a thread :).

Thanks,

Emerson

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

keep an external hard drive you can boot from. you can boot up from the drive when you need to install itunes/ipod updates and update songs.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

Self control, if you use it you won't have to surf the internet on an iPod.

4. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

How does one boot an iPod touch from an external drive?

5. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

i guess he actually ment boot the external HD from one of the lab computers

6. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I have terrific self control, especially for a youngster, regarding alcohol, drugs, sex, school work, etc. But for some reason I don't with the computer - I think I'll just have to accept that I can't moderate at this current point in my life and extricate myself from them. My Mom is an alcoholic and can't moderate with alcohol, although she can with anything else. She has to stay away from it completely. I guess I'm the same way about computers.

I was thinking about doing the external HD thing, but I wasn't completely sure it would work. I think it's a good solution.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen,

e

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well I think thats a bad idea...iPods really need computer to use.

Personally I say try harder to stop internet use...or realize that the internet doesn't hurt you that much.

If you were really an "addict" you'd end up going to the computer lab, which would defeat the whole point.

8. reflex macrumors 6502a

If you're procrastinating at the computer, you'll probably do the same without it. Try to get into the habit of working (easier said than done, I know).