Wanting to trade iMac for macbook - help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mcfire12, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Mcfire12 macrumors member

Well, I bought my iMac 2 1/2 years ago, nothing wrong with it and like it, but would like to switch to a potable that I can use in my living room and not just my office. iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) looking for a larger macbook pro. Not sure how to go about doing this? Do I just buy a used macbook from eBay then sell this iMac after I get it? Just back everything up somehow and reload it onto the (new) macbook when I get it somehow? I'm just not sure how to go about this whole process, and I definitely don't want to get burned and end up with a machine that has problems or something. If they weren't so expensive, i'd just add the macbook to my collection. Any advice?

2. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

What's your budget? Why do you want a Macbook Pro versus the iMac? Why did you buy the iMac in the first place?

3. Mcfire12 thread starter macrumors member

Well I wanted to get away with spending about 600 on it. Looks like that isn't going to happen. The iPad is just crazy slow and a pain to look things up some times. The macbook is just going to stay in the living room pretty much. I think i'm going to keep the iMac and buy a used 2012 it macbook pro. It's starting to make more sense then loosing my iMac all together

4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I just don't understand the use cases here. If you're just going to have a laptop in the living room, why have a laptop? What iPad do you have?