Wanting to turn off startup sound !

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Choctaw, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

How can I turn off the loud startup sound when my iMac boots up, without having to use the keyboard key to accomplish it. There must be a setting to for that.

Thanks

2. dwfaust, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  3. Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

Thanks for the info. I am a bit weary of my use of the terminal. Many have given advise that people (not to be accusing you) will give commands to put into that program that can cause trouble to the uninformed. Uninformed would be my label, I know nothing about the use of terminal code.

However it that code did what you purport it to do, without any damage, it would be a workable solution for my problem.

I really have no use for the loud blast of sound when the iMac starts. I think it is a trick Apple uses to make us think things start fast, which only the sound come quickly, but for the system to be usable it involved more time.

Thanks

4. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

OnyX also has this feature and many more options as well. Just keep in mind, OnyX isn't something you simply mess around with or run once a week to make you Mac "faster."

They have great tutorials and instructions on when, how and why to use its features.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It is an extremely bad idea to turn off the startup sound, this sound is there for a reason and is a diagnostic, one you will need at some point in the future. Turning it off is shortsighted and foolish. Instead simply let the computer sleep when not in use.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Seconded. Don't shut the iMac down.