Wanting to upgrade, but not sure which model.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by TheAppleGeek, Apr 11, 2015.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

I have a 13" (Early 2011) MacBook Pro. It's been outstanding since day one -- until about last summer. It's been dipping in speed significantly, and most notably, seems to fit the bill for the graphics card issue most Early 2011 models seem to have/had.

I love the MacBook Pro's, but I'm really, really interested in the new MacBook Air's (or at least, recent models). Any suggestions would be helpful!

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

Well all MacBook Airs from 2012 and beyond are very nice machines. But the 2015 (only 13" version) is really nice. Force Touch, better graphics card, super fast SSD. On the other hand it has no Retina display..

3. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Only the Pros and the new retina MacBook have the new force track pad. The 2015 MBA do not.

----------

i

Bh video & micro center have the 2014 MBA for $799. Good deal I say. 2015 only got minor bumps. Obviously no retina, & no force touch track pad.

4. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

I would suggest getting the screen fixed under the extended warranty they may fix other things for free of mailed in and I have a 13 inch 2015 MBA and can't say anything bad about it

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I bit the bullet and upgraded my MBA to a rMBP.

Trust me, you'll love the differences. And the thicker size is offset somewhat by the smaller footprint. I was able to keep using my Saddleback leather MBA sleeve.

6. Daud macrumors regular

One bad difference is less screen estate. I would love 15" MBA with IPS screen.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

:apple: fixes the gpu issue for free.
    Try an ssd upgrade.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmm, no. You can run all sorts of resolutions, and the screen is just about the same physical size. And a lot sharper.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

...only if the device fails their test for the issue... and "fix" is somewhat subjective. Replacing a defective part with another defective part may not be considered a fix by some. There has been no indication that Apple has resolved the cause of the fault so it is matter of time until it fails again. Some who have had their motherboards replaced had the replacement fail within a few weeks.

10. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Woah, that's a steal. I'll look into that!

----------

I was considering the SSD upgrade, and still am somewhat, but the graphics card issue is really beginning to get excessive and annoying. I'll still take it to an Apple Store here sometime, but if it can't be replaced, I'll dedicate my time to searching for a new laptop.

11. theluggage macrumors 68030

Be warned that the GPU issue can progress from annoying intermittent crashes -> total failure to boot fairly rapidly, so get thoroughly backed up. My 2011 MBP was fine until just over a week ago, then started with the blank screens and freezes and progressed to total failure over the course of a few days. The good news is that the local Apple service agent fixed it for free and its now back. Note: you might have to push a bit to get past the "computer says no..." guy at the front desk, because Apple's serial number lookup only seems to go back to 2012. Have your proof of purchase and a copy of the announcement on Apple's website ready to wave.

If you get that sorted, though, I can highly recommend the SSD upgrade as a way of giving an MBP a new lease of life. Installation is a doddle if you get the right screwdrivers and if you do get a new Mac, you can always stick the SSD in an external USB3 enclosure and use it as an external drive.

12. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

The well known graphic issues in 2011 are only for 15" model with the independent GPU. Your 13" is not affected.

If it is getting slower, try putting a SSD in, works wonders.

13. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I have a base model 13 inch early 2011 and changed the hdd to an ssd plus 8gb of ram and it works better then when I bought it. If you'd like to save a few $ I'd suggest this. Also, if you have never opened it up before maybe cleaning out the fans would help as well. Good luck!

14. Internaut macrumors 6502a

I'm still super happy with my 2011 MacBook Air. That said, I'm very aware that fixing it will be expensive in the event that something goes wrong. I'm constantly evaluating options:

• New 12" MacBook: A lot of money for an awful lot of compromises.
    • MacBook Air: Still great, and now with USB3, but still no retina (and that bezel is starting to look a bit like flared trousers :)).
    • MacBook Pro: The pot of money I have set to one side, for computer replacements, would certainly stretch to one of these...