Wanting to upgrade MBP 13 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThomasRocks, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ThomasRocks macrumors newbie

It's on its way! The laptop was purchased 3/27/2011 by the original owner so it still has some regular Apple warranty left on it. I really want to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB and the hard drive to 7200 RPM (maybe the seagate SSD hybrid). I want to know if its worth it before the warranty runs out or if there is a way I can upgrade and if something does go wrong downgrade so that I can get service. Also, I will be running protools LE 8 and most likely Video editing software (not sure which one), so any other upgrade, product or optimization suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit its the 13 Base model i5

2. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Replacing those two parts won't void the warranty since Apple states that those are user replaceable. If something does go wrong, just pop in the original parts if you want.

If you have the money to spend, I'd go with an SSD since it will speed up many tasks that the computer will perform.

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

You'd have to try really hard to mess up the installation of the RAM or the HDD.

The computer's manual has instructions on how to do this. Just follow them step by step.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No, it won't.

An SSD will speed up booting and launching applications. It will NOT make you surf the web any faster, or type word docs any faster, or make slideshows in iPhoto, etc., any faster. It MAY help if you're regularly working in very large files that require the system to access whatever mass storage device you're using.