Wanting to upgrade my HDD, can I use a time machine backup.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickosbad, Jun 4, 2010.

1. nickosbad macrumors regular

Hi everyone, I need to upgrade to a larger hard drive size, if I make a time machine backup of my current drive can I then re install selected items onto the new drive once it's installed without losing any data or programmes?

Thanks

Nick

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, you can migrate from TM backup by using Migration Assistant. Everything, including data, apps and settings will remain the same

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

4. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Might be a smidgen faster to format the new HDD and then to do a restore instead of installing OSX and then doing a migration?

As for super duper, if you already have a Time Machine backup, then there's no point in creating an entirely new backup just to use super duper.

Personally, I've only used Time Machine and it's worked great for me. I've upgraded a HDD, restored it, and migrated from it with Time Machine backups. No complaints here.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You don't have to create new backup with SuperDuper or CCC. Just put the new drive in enclosure and clone your current HD in it, then install the new HD and boot off it.

Both are fine

6. nickosbad thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really want to buy an enclosure as I won't need it and when I transfer the content across I want to be selective and only transfer the things I'll need rather than clone loads of programmes and media that i no longer need so it looks like using a time machine backup and dragging and dropping will be ok!

Thanks guys