Wanting to upgrade RAM on my own

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steven314, Jan 20, 2008.

1. steven314 macrumors newbie

So I'd like to upgrade my RAM on my own, since I figure I should learn how to do some of this stuff myself.

I have an iBook G4, 1.33 Ghz. It's loaded with 512 MB of RAM, with room for 512 more. A few questions:

1. Do I have to make sure it's the same make/model/manufacturer as my other RAM? If so, how do I find that info?

2. I heard rumors that I can completely fry the whole computer if I open it up and touch the wrong thing? Am I going to ruin my computer?

3. Any other hardware questions I need to keep in mind?

4. Can anyone point me to a good online tutorial for doing this?

Thanks,

Steven

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR
    MR Guide to Buying RAM

No, you just have to make sure you buy compatible RAM. Since there's only one socket in the machine, you will replace whatever module is in the socket.

You should observe static electric precautions (keep yourself grounded). There is a very small chance you can ruin anything, if you be sensible. Of course, forcing any parts into place, yanking or ripping ribbon cables, or scratching circuitboard traces, etc. can damage any machine.
    www.ifixit.com

3. soms macrumors 6502

soms

1. As long as its the same type of ram you are fine; it does not have to be the same brand.

2. No you are not going to ruin your computer.

4. search on youtube or google for ibook memory replacement, i'm sure theres tons of videos/walkthroughs on it.

edit:
    http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/guides/hw/ibook/ram/