Wanting to upgrade to new MBP... help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Aug 7, 2011.

  1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #1
    I currently have a Macbook (Late 2006) Core 2 Duo and I'm wanting to upgrade to a new Macbook Pro. I ultimately want the high-end 15" as I feel the specs would allow for a longer lifespan until my next upgrade. The 13" would do just fine for the moment but I'd prefer longevity plus I'd like to delve into more advance things like movie or music making down the road. I also would rather the anti-glare screen over the glossy. However given that Apple products generally have a high resale value I was thinking of getting a 13" now and then next summer when the new ones come out I'd do a trade-up to a much better 15". What do you guys think?
     
  2. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #2
    That makes little sense to knowingly buy a machine for one year, especially an Apple product. If that's the case, get a "temporary" netbook/more capable PC in the mean time for much cheaper.
     
  3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    Well I would never buy a Windows PC so that option is out. I thought of getting an iPad but I don't know if that is the best option either. In any event my Macbook is 5 years old this Christmas and it's definitely showing it's wear (in usability that is).
     
  4. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #4
    If people like you are falling victim to the waiting game, then I don't know what else to say. You're in the rare situation of "need", and even when under such exreme circumstances, you plan on "waiting" for the next "great" thing, then you really need to start reconsidering a few things.

    Buy now, or buy next year, and buy the one that'll last you until your next "needed" upgrade. But do know, come next year, there will be even a better revision on the horizon. Plus, Haswell WILL have a bigger performance jump than Ivy -- guaranteed.
     
  5. h00ligan macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    A hot desert
    #5
    If you can get the kindle offer before end of day today, yu would lose basically no money with your intial plan

    I don't buy what others here are selling...there's no issue I've the deal is right or you don't care about losing the money.

    A 13" pro is $940 at amazon with the coupon right now. Look for the 20% off threads.
     
  6. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #6
    Yeah, the Kindle offer is great, but one of the worst situations to be in is NOT being a Kindle owner AND looking for the cheapest of all Macs. Consider a net loss of ~$50 on the Kindle (or you can purchase the coupon from a eBay vendor for ~$50), that puts the price at ~$990, not that much cheaper than Best Buy price-matching Microcenter.

    Kindle offers seem to shine to those already in ownership of KSO, or those looking at 15s/17s, or at the very least, 13 MBAs. Else, after recouping Kindle price, it's a bit tough to justify a purchase unless you were already deadset on getting one.

    I'd expect no more than $700 - $800 for the base 13 once a refresh happens, depending on the condition of the MBP. You'd also have to front shipping as well as whatever commission cost (assuming you avoid craigslist alternative, where you can avoid shipping/commission, but end up selling it lower).

    Also, OP is in Canada.
     
  7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    I don't know what this "Kindle offer" is but okay. I also don't see any 13" MBP for $940 either but thanks for the tip.
     
  8. h00ligan, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

    h00ligan macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    Location:
    A hot desert
    #8
    The kindle special offers version has a coupon good today for 20% off Mac laptops.

    So if you wanted a kindle you'd get it free basically. Factor out tax and 20% savings....

    You would have to buy a kindle special offers today though. $119

    Ahh Canada. My bad. The folly of Tapatalk!
     
  9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #9
    I've also been looking at refurbs on the Apple online store.
     
  10. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    #10
    Resale values of refurbs are not as good. Refurbs are made to those who use plan on using the laptop.
     
  11. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #11
    lol well of course I'm going to use it. I'm not going to buy something that I'm not going to use.
     
  12. fisherking macrumors 603

    fisherking

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Location:
    ny somewhere
    #12
    i've never seen anyone sell they're used mac announcing it as 'refurbished'.
    either way, if it's in good shape, it's worth what it's worth.

    if you can't WAIT for the next mbps, go for the one you want now, and do your work.
    who knows, maybe you'll make it until the 2013 macs... (or something like that).
     
  13. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #13
    Well I definitely can't (or would rather not) wait until the next revision of the MBP which will likely not be until after Christmas in either winter or spring. But I'm pretty sure I can wait another month or two to get the one I ultimately want from the current line up. I just don't want to settle for the 13" this time like I did last time with this Macbook. I'd rather go for the 15".
     
  14. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
  15. wegster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    #15
    Get the 15" today with the 20% off deal. People told you how to get info on that, not sure if you got it, but search would uncover more details there.

    Or wait and buy nothing. Picking up a 13" expecting to replace it in a year or so is just a good way to waste money, better to just get what it is that you want. If money really isn't a concern, then go for it, and maybe let us know about your career choice, as making 100k/yr I still wouldn't buy a 'throwaway' like buying a 13" for a year or less, knowing I'd be replacing it very soon. But hey, maybe it's me doing it 'wrong.' :D
     
  16. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #16
    If you're talking about Amazon I'm not seeing any "20% off deal". I'm in Canada so maybe it only applies to the US. If that's the case then it's no good for me. .... Correction. I just checked the "deals" section but there are not Macs in the 20% off" section for laptops. If there is please provide a link. Thanks.
     

Share This Page