Wanting up upgrade RAM.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyhoodie55, Nov 19, 2013.

1. nyhoodie55 macrumors newbie

Hello there! I'm a newb to the mac world and know nothing about computers... So bare with me please! I've had windows computers since I could remember. About 3 years ago I started college and bought an HP windows 7 Laptop. About 8 months in I started noticing it was messing up. about 2 years and some months later the laptop is a piece of junk. So it's time for a new one. I had been wanting a Macbook Pro since I was in high school mainly because I make a lot of videos and all of my computers had been messing up because of how many videos i make. The laptop would freeze and all that good stuff. But as you all know the APPLE computers are a little pricey. Something I really cant afford but thankfully my parents are going to help me out but i also dont want to buy an expensive computer. I was looking into buying the:
    13-inch: 2.4GHz
    with Retina display
    2.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    4GB 1600MHz memory

I had been told that 4GB isn't really all that great for making videos because it would slow the computer down or something like that and that it'd be better that I upgrade it to 8GB on my own. Now, I know i can install it on my own but what I want to know is would that mess up the laptop? or does it upgrade it completely as if i had bought it originally as an 8GB? Everyones told me that I'm better off just buying a macbook. That its worth the price but that the 4GB isnt all that great.

I'd mostly be using the laptop for
    School things like papers and stuff but like I said I make alot of music videos for my friends and im tired of my HP closing up on me because it freezes when im working on it.

HELP PLEASE!! and thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You cannot upgrade the RAM yourself on retina model MacBook Pros, as the RAM is soldered to the logic board. Order the MacBook Pro with the amount of RAM that you want.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

What he ^^^ said.

If you want to be able to upgrade it yourself later, get a refurbished non-retina. Or get what you anticipate needing late in the life of the machine if you get a retina. Officially, there is nothing about a retina model that you can upgrade yourself (including storage) but once you're out of warranty there's nothing to stop you if there's a compatible drive available.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Lack of ram can cause that kind of behavior. Bad ram can cause that kind of behavior if you upgraded it and didn't test it. With an HDD, if it's on the full side and you're low on ram, it's much worse. SSDs experience this to a lesser degree. My experiences haven't been that great with HP though. The lack of upgradable ram is annoying, but it is what it is.