WAP on iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hassoon, Dec 13, 2010.

1. hassoon macrumors regular

hi i got an iphone 4. you might find my question odd, does WAP internet work on the iphone 4? my country doesn't have yet the 3G service and i got my iphone factory unlocked. at home and at college and even wherever i go (restaurants, malls..) i'm surrounded by Wifi but i need internet for push notifications only while i'm on the go in order to stay updated by facebook and twitter... ty

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The iPhone does not have a WAP browser. There may be one in the app store: I'd start searching...

3. hassoon thread starter macrumors regular

guys my question is does WAP works with the iphone? like can i receive notifications from apps like facebook and other social apps ? thanks for the ones who searched and reply to the thread.. :)

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You don't have EDGE/GPRS? WAP is just a protocol from what I understand. It's not a data service.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Exactly. WAP/WML are analogous to HTTP/HTML. WAP was traditionally delivered over 2G services like GPRS and later EDGE.

6. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

WAP is just a way to dramatically reduce web traffic. It serves as a replacement for Safari. It won't do anything to any other app on your phone.

7. hassoon thread starter macrumors regular

so get the service anyway ? really thanks for the reply :)

8. ianray macrumors 6502

iPhone uses standard internet protocols, and does not support the WAP protocol suite (WDP, WTLS, WTP, WSP, WAE).

IIUC wapzilla is a browser that understands WML (and the xhtml of WAP 2.0) as well as wbmp format etc.

You seem 100% certain that your operator provides only WAP-based data services. Can you surf using Safari on your iPhone? Does your phone have correct APN settings? See Settings -> General -> Network -> Mobile Data Network. (One can find APN settings for many operators around the world using Google.)

9. majorbeats macrumors newbie

i use Wapzilla too..its excellent...you have to on your 3G so you can pass the detection...then enter in the WAP adderss of your carrier store (if thats what you would like to accomplish)

10. rikbrown macrumors regular

To sum up: please don't confuse WAP (an older format for displaying information on the internet to mobile phones) with GPRS/EDGE (2G technology used for internet connection).

If your operator doesn't support 3G, they'll most likely support 2G.