Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
For those who may not know FM = flight model. If this is an arcade game, I would not be interested. Examples: point the nose up and climb forever, pull into max turn rate and bleed minimal speed, etc.

I updated the post for better description.

The "Arcade Mode" of this game may be relaxed, but still cannot go straight up forever.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
The game refuses to even launch for me. I set the settings to medium launch( as suggested on the WT forums) it and then it literally always freezes on the loading screen.

It also always asks for permission to allow incoming connections, despite having been granted permission in the firewall, and always clicking Allow.

Same issue I had on my previous system as well.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Version 1.41 went live.

More planes, tanks, and other features added, improvements

----------

The game refuses to even launch for me. I set the settings to medium launch( as suggested on the WT forums) it and then it literally always freezes on the loading screen.

It also always asks for permission to allow incoming connections, despite having been granted permission in the firewall, and always clicking Allow.

Same issue I had on my previous system as well.

With 1.41 out, try deleting the old version, any Pref in Lib, and install fresh.
Let me know how that goes, OK?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
With 1.41 out, try deleting the old version, any Pref in Lib, and install fresh.
Let me know how that goes, OK?

Yeah, still nothing. Same old issue. Starts, and then instantly freezes on loading for ever.

Can't be bothered anymore.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
COMBINED FORCES!

Armor and Air will now be together for certain classes of mission.

ALSO, PS4 players are now in the mix too!

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Seems like Gaijin has something to crow about!

It’s official now! No other game in the world can lay claim that they feature more aircraft in a simulation game than War Thunder, which set a Guinness World Record by offering 303 unique aircraft earlier this year. By the time of E3 2014, Gaijin Entertainment actually upped its total from 303 to 345 planes and announced that more will be rolling off the development assembly line in each major update

WT_eng_06.jpg

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Although, to be honest, many of the 303 "unique" planes are variants and subvariants with rather minor differences. Still, their attention to detail is praiseworthy.

Agree on both points, although there is a notable number of errors, its overall quite good.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finally checked out WT for myself. Waits in battle queue run 5-10 minutes, way too long IMO.

Tanks- I admit I'm adjusting to this game from World of Tanks. The battle fields are much larger, the Level 1 tanks seem very responsive, very slip-slidey which is good, but situational awareness is not good, and the battles seem much less focused by virtue of huge battlefields then in WoT. I'll probably play with it a bit more, but as is, WoT the most splendid tank battle game in the market, has nothing to worry about

Airplanes- played both "arcade" and "realistic", but not "simulation". Both arcade and realistic feel very arcade-like. I cooped with a friend and we were not able to stay together easily. When you can't do a loop or a barrel roll, it's definitely an arcade game. It's possible that simulation would be better, but keep in mind I was using "mouse point" to turn the plane. When in range to shoot, the game does give you a lead pointer which helps a bunch. However there is no easy way to keep an airplane in sight once you pass it or overshoot. This is a must for any respectable flight sim, and the battles I participated in were just big uncoordinated gaggles. Don't know how much more flying I'll do.

Regarding coordinated ground/air ops, I've come to terms with artillery in WoT, but if I was to end up in a tank with no way to defend myself from aircraft, I'd find this highly frustrating.

Last edited:

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Airplanes- played both "arcade" and "realistic", but not "simulation". Both arcade and realistic feel very arcade-like. I cooped with a friend and we were not able to stay together easily. When you can't do a loop or a barrel roll, it's definitely an arcade game. It's possible that simulation would be better, but keep in mind I was using "mouse point" to turn the plane. When in range to shoot, the game does give you a lead pointer which helps a bunch. However there is no easy way to keep an airplane in sight once you pass it or overshoot. This is a must for any respectable flight sim, and the battles I participated in were just big uncoordinated gaggles. Don't know how much more flying I'll do.
When you don't use mouse aim, you can also easily pull off every conceivable flight manoeuvre (select realistic or full plane control in the settings). I think you can even do more manoeuvres with mouse aim when you limit instructor interference. There's also some setting about "simplified mouse controls" or something like that buried in the menus, but I can't remember exactly where. (I guess you noticed he game's menus aren't an example of clarity…) After disabling this, you should also have more control over your plane.

On a side note: you will find quickly that mouse aimers have a clear advantage over anyone who uses the mouse joystick (which is is different from mouse aiming), controllers or joysticks…

To track the plane you are attacking, you can select it as target (if I recall correctly, middle mouse button or "X" are the default binding) and then simply hold down the tracking key (normally "alt"). That only works in Arcade and Realistic Battles, though. In Simulator Battles, you cannot lock targets.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
When you don't use mouse aim, you can also easily pull off every conceivable flight manoeuvre (select realistic or full plane control in the settings). I think you can even do more manoeuvres with mouse aim when you limit instructor interference. There's also some setting about "simplified mouse controls" or something like that buried in the menus, but I can't remember exactly where. (I guess you noticed he game's menus aren't an example of clarity…) After disabling this, you should also have more control over your plane.

On a side note: you will find quickly that mouse aimers have a clear advantage over anyone who uses the mouse joystick (which is is different from mouse aiming), controllers or joysticks…

To track the plane you are attacking, you can select it as target (if I recall correctly, middle mouse button or "X" are the default binding) and then simply hold down the tracking key (normally "alt"). That only works in Arcade and Realistic Battles, though. In Simulator Battles, you cannot lock targets.

Thanks for the info. I'll play some more with it. :)

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
PS4 console players are allowed to download and play beta clients?? :eek:

Well, THEY call it a "beta", but it is really finished.
Call it a Charlie (for Changing), because they are changing game parameters and adding more than fixing notable bugs (just minor ones).

Last edited:

JayKyte

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
Did anyone manage to play this on Mac with Xbox 360 controller...what ever i do the plane pulls to the side and its unable to center the plane....

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
70th anniversary of the end of war in Europe (VE-day), there will be HUGE discounts in game.

Get account now and get in on specials while you can.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
3ed Anniversary Specials!!
Their year since War Thunder went open with its game, they are offering 50% discounts and specials for (darn near) EVERYTHING!
**THIS WEEKEND ONLY**

See OP, the first post, to lean more and GET FREE BONUS.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
2016 ended with the introduction of the Japanese armor line to the game (took a long time to gather enough data for it), and the first testing of BOATS!

A bunch of other vehicles where added, so the total is now over 1000 vehicles, with 2/3 of them unique.
Also more maps and events

If you are new and want to try, go to Original Post and click on banner to get additional in game currency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.