Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Has anyone tried Warby Parker? They're eyeglass designers who sell their glasses directly online for $95, including AR/anti-scratch coatings. They were called the "Netflix" of glasses by GQ a couple months ago, because their system allows you to order trial pairs of several different frames, have them shipped to your home, and then send them back when you're ready to order.

They actually have some really gorgeous glasses ... for years, I've hardly worn glasses, and in truth, the last time I bought glasses had been around 2000, but then I planned ahead and put FSA money aside to get a pair of Versace glasses this year, and I actually really like them for wearing once in a while (they're green, and I only wear them with one or two outfits). Now there are some glasses here (like this one in the "checkered revolver" color) that are kind of tempting, especially given the price....

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I like a lot of the styles, and would consider buying from them, but it seems like every single frame is currently sold out.

EDIT: Though I'm a big fan of the frames, I don't like how all of their lenses come with AR. I hate wearing glasses with AR coating.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I like a lot of the styles, and would consider buying from them, but it seems like every single frame is currently sold out.

That's interesting... the one I want seems to be in stock, although I didn't go through the whole check-out process. It was out of stock for getting a home sample. But the frames are not bad, n'est-ce pas? Especially for $95... my current glasses cost quite a lot more than that, and at that price, it seems not bad to have a pair or two around just to wear with certain clothes (I know, I know, I have issues :eek: ).

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
A lot of the more classic/vintage mens frames (the style that I like) are sold out, like the Huxley, Miles, and Fillmore.

The price is great, especially for those without good vision insurance. Right now I have pretty good coverage through my fathers insurance, but my grad student insurance that I will be relying on in a few months has pretty bad vision coverage (only an $80 frame allowance every two years).

Although I just got new glasses, I'm going to bookmark them and hope they have more stock when I'm ready for a second or new pair. My girlfriend is in the market for new glasses though and likes the type of style they seem to specialize in, so thanks for the link.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Although I just got new glasses, I'm going to bookmark them and hope they have more stock when I'm ready for a second or new pair. My girlfriend is in the market for new glasses though and likes the type of style they seem to specialize in, so thanks for the link.

Cool, if either of you get anything, post whore about it! :D

I have pretty good vision insurance right now, but the problem is that it pays for only glasses or contacts on a yearly basis, and so I'm using the coverage on contacts every year. That's fine by me, but I might play around with wearing glasses slightly more often.

EDIT: Those are cool selections, although I don't think taller glasses look good on me, personally. I like the Sandalwood Matte finish for the Fillmore, in particular.

jamain

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
Warby Parker not the only try at home company

Warby Parker does a nice job with its site and their frames look nice. However, if you want options for your lenses (no AR, bifocals, etc.), then they can't help. However, if you go to http://www.tryglassesforfree.com, you can get glasses to try on at home, the lens options you want, a MUCH bigger selection, and great prices. I've used them, and their customer service is really great too. So if you want options, that's where you need to look, not warby parker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.