Warcraft 3 Hosting Problems

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Sambo110, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

My old eMac could host, but my iMac never could. I never really cared, but now I sold my eMac and now I want to play Warcraft 3 again, and host. Any ideas how? And it's obviously not my modems fault because my old eMac always could and the iMac couldn't.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Could you be a bit more specific? Why can't it host?

3. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm sure Warcraft 3 players will know what I mean. No one can join my game.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I am a Warcraft 3 player, and I still don't know what you mean. They can see the hosted game but not connect? Are you trying to host local games, or over Battle.net?

5. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh, ok then. It's online. Have you ever tried to join a game but it hangs for around a minute, then says you can't connect? That's because the person can't host.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ah, okay. Is the port properly forwarded to your iMac?

7. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

Where abouts would I do that? And do you know what ports?

8. salohcin macrumors member

I think the port is 6112, but you might want to double check that. You can change the port in the settings of the game as well. This is so that more than one computer on your network can host. I think you still want to keep it in the 611* area though.

Try this thread, it might be helpful:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=302335

9. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

I have this same problem, however leopard has no simple open/close port options under firewall prefs. Any help?

10. imassents macrumors 6502

Leopard firewall is in my opinion useless. To configure it for Warcraft do this
    - Go to Apple Menu->System Prefs->Security->Firewall Tab
    - Either set your Mac to allow all incoming connections or
    - Use Access for specific services and applications

If using specific access, click the [+] at the bottom and find the "Warcraft III.app" to add it to the list (this is for both Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne).

This method also requires an allow box to be selected each time a game is hosted. Before hosting a game, press Command-M to put Warcraft in a window to help you see it (you can return to fullscreen afterwards by pressing it again).

Just so you know, if you have a router the OS X firewall will be doing next to nothing anyway.

11. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

I have set the firewall to allow all incoming connections.

12. imassents macrumors 6502

On your Mac, you should assign it a static IP address. Go to System Preferences->Network and click the top most connection. On the right it will say this "Ethernet is currently active and has the IP address [xx.xx.xx.xx]". Change the drop down menu from Using DHCP to Using DHCP with manual address. Enter the IP address that is listed at the top [xx.xx.xx.xx] then click apply. If you can no longer connect to the internet, revert these settings back to what they were.
    * If you use wireless these steps will not work.

Open up Warcraft on the Mac and go to Options->Gameplay and check to make sure the Gameport is 6112 this will be used in the routers rule.

Your router then need to be configured. Head to
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
    and follow through the guide for your router. Your Static IP listed above [xx.xx.xx.xx] is sometime referred to as a server IP. The public port and private port are both 6112 (use TCP only - UDP is not required for Warcraft). Do not forward a range of 6112 - 6119, this is not needed. Any field that asks for a port, stick in 6112 to keep things simple.

If you need more info, I need some in return. What devices help you connect to the internet (modem/routers etc)?

13. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

I used your guide, did everything you said, but still no one joined the game. Seems I will just have to give up on hosting.

14. imassents macrumors 6502

What I've said is only basic because I have no info. My crystal ball is low on batteries and cannot give an exact answer. Networks can be setup thousands of ways and configured to work, however I've only posted for the general setup that most users have.

15. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

I think it has something to do with the iMac. My eMac running Tiger could host, my iMac running Leopard can't.

16. imassents macrumors 6502

No, it can host. You have missed something...

17. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, any ideas then? And also, any ideas how to keep an open nat for my 360? I have done exactly what the guides told me to, it did nothing. Sometimes it's open, sometimes I can open it by restarting the 360, and sometimes it just stays closed for ages.

18. imassents macrumors 6502

A few...

19. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

Care to explain them?

20. imassents macrumors 6502

No, not really.

21. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just use an ethernet cable from the modem to the iMac.

22. imassents macrumors 6502

What modem? What ISP? ADSL/Cable?

Optus/Telstra/Others generally provide you with a router. It will not be a modem. This device is causing issues. What make/model is it?

edit: So you are with Internode and have a OPEN Networks iConnectAccess625? Is this correct?

23. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

Umm, how the hell did you find that out, may I ask? But I used this ISP with my eMac and never had any problems.

24. imassents macrumors 6502

You need to configure your router to work with your iMac. It may have been done with your eMac in the past, but that is irrelevant now. Head to http://192.168.1.254 and login to your router. The default login details are
    User: root
    Pass: 0P3N (zero-P-three-N [in capitals])

If these do not work, I cannot help you further. You can either find the username and password or reset the router back to default settings.

Once logged in, click the Advanced tab at the top of the configuration pages, followed by clicking LAN Clients in the list on the left. The bottom half should show an IP address that matches your Mac static IP address from the Network Preference pane ([xx.xx.xx.xx] that I posted earlier). Select the reserve option next to this entry, then click Apply.

Now over on the left, choose Port Forwarding. Near the top, click on Custom Port Forwarding and enter the following
    Connection: Leave this alone
    Application: Warcraft3
    Source IP: 0.0.0.0
    Destination IP: [xx.xx.xx.xx] - as defined earlier
    Destination Port Start: 6112
    Destination Port Map: 6112
    Enable: Ticked
    Protocol: TCP
    Source Netmask: 0.0.0.0
    Destination Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Destination Port End: 6112

Then click apply.

Lastly, click the Save / Restart Menu on the left. Click Save All, and confirm once asked. After it's saved, Restart the router.

After that, provided the port matches in Warcraft, your static IP is the same throughout, and the firewall is off, you should be able to host.

To prevent paranoia, I matched your user name to your account at Whirlpool which had these details.

25. Sambo110 thread starter macrumors 68000

You are awesome! The only thing is that:

Destination Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Had to stay 255.255.255.255.

But it worked! I had never clicked custom port forwarding, just port forwarding in another thing. Now, would I do that exact same thing every time I wanted a port open? Including the ports the Xbox 360 uses? And thanks again.