Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rileyb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I don't know if these effect anyone else but with the "native" version of Warcraft 3 I get all sorts of problems.

- Game crashes after about 3 different online games
- Games hosted with bots have a 75% chance of split
- Games hosted by bots if you change team/colour you will be reverted to the position that you last played the prior.
- Windows mode will not allow you to stretch the screen it stays at 800 by 600 which is tiny to some of us.
- Some games just wont start. (JASS heavy maps)
- Some games will crash 99% of the time within the first 2 minutes in a public game. (Less Heavy JASS maps Seems that the game doesn't like to process some of the code which is lame.)
- Fullscreen looks awful on widescreen monitors (even if different resolution is selected)
- When quitting the game it makes your screen gain a yellow tint it's odd.

So I got fed up and got the trail of crossover games, had a little trouble with getting it to install (had to download the windows version off the website as the disk will not let you choose).
But after this little hick up I was ready to go then remembered I wanted to have windows which mean you need to do the following.

Run Command > (find war3.exe should be easy to find) > add -window -opengl else artifacts will appear when you change the screen.

I did all this and found that the game crashes when you login in to battle.net....

So question time has anyone got it working on crossover?

Also has anyone figured out how to access the drive_c to add more maps etc?

*edit 1* Picture of Crossover Crash Error
screenshot20091204at203.png

*edit 2*

Seems you can stop the game crashing so much by removing the movies folder located at.

/Users/<name>/Library/Application Support/CrossOver Games/Bottles/winxp/drive_c/Warcraft III/

Also the Map folder is also in this place.

I've also found out a way to modify WINE to make it work however the guide is only for Linux by the looks of things.

You can read up on that here.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
Is your machine leopard or snow leopard? I haven't had a problem with running the game native before. Do you have the latest patch installed?

Rileyb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Is your machine leopard or snow leopard? I haven't had a problem with running the game native before. Do you have the latest patch installed?

I'm running Snow Leopard and Warcraft 3 to the lastest version however I've had alot more issues since they changed to the patch where they did something to the JASS.

Since people started using the bot hosts as if you want to play a different map/mod/game whatever after then it just desyncs and you have to close WC3.

Hence I decided to try Crossover to see if the bugs are still there, it works pretty much beautifully performance wise but no joy with connection to Bnet.

Freaking thing looks sweet on my22" monitor. I use the native mac port. No reason to dink in windows for wc3.

It would the 22" monitors aren't widescreen

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I can't play at my native 1920x1200 res - opening the res options, there are so many the last one I can see on the screen is 1680x1050...I can't click anything underneath that. Any ideas?

Rileyb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I can't play at my native 1920x1200 res - opening the res options, there are so many the last one I can see on the screen is 1680x1050...I can't click anything underneath that. Any ideas?

Honestly it doesn't matter too much Widescreen is a bit buggered it'll still look stretched just choose a similar ratio on the highest res you can, failing that run in a windows box with cmd + M

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Never heard of this before, but it does sound possible. I really cannot think of a fix other than editing the preference file. The process is fairly involved, so I've done it for you. To use the attached preference file:
- Extract the com.blizzard.WarcraftIII file from the archive
- In the Finder, select Go to Folder from the Go menu at the top
- Type in "~\Library\Preferences" and click Go
- Find the file com.Blizzard.WarcraftIII and move it out of here (for a backup)
- Move in the one I've edited
- Try Warcraft once more

If this has worked, you will need to check all your settings for the game, including any map vetos, sound settings etc. If something breaks (which I doubt), reverse the process and restore your own com.Blizzard.WarcraftIII file.

Attachments

• com.blizzard.WarcraftIII.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 70

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
- When quitting the game it makes your screen gain a yellow tint it's odd.
Warcraft does strange things with a calibrated display. To reset this, go to System Prefs -> Displays. It should refresh and work out where it should be. If that doesn't help, check in the Color tab as well.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I don't have any problems, but I rarely use bot hosts, they only host crap like DOTA. Maybe a reinstall would fix it?

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
I'm running Snow Leopard and Warcraft 3 to the lastest version however I've had alot more issues since they changed to the patch where they did something to the JASS.

Since people started using the bot hosts as if you want to play a different map/mod/game whatever after then it just desyncs and you have to close WC3.

Hence I decided to try Crossover to see if the bugs are still there, it works pretty much beautifully performance wise but no joy with connection to Bnet.

It would the 22" monitors aren't widescreen

Mine is. 1680x1050 native resolution. WC3 has in game support for it. It's in the drag down menu, 32 bit color too.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-12-04 at 7.39.39 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2009-12-04 at 7.39.39 PM.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 159

Rileyb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I do aplogise, however as I've been quote many times by Blizzard Staff "Warcraft 3 may list the resolutions that your computer uses but it does not support widescreen.", Why they haven't patched it to do so I have no idea.

However the Host Bots are a problem I found this thread Here.

Which is an annoying concept as most of the bloody games are hosted on there also I don't play dota but it's a trend that people like to host the games via these bots and they will desync you within games 1/3 games if you on a mac. This is why I asked about the Crossover Games.

Rileyb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Sadly games not hosted by bots tend to be hosted by random people who like to custom kick, I'd rather play without such things

imassents

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
However the Host Bots are a problem I found this thread [URL="https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/696424/]Here[/URL].
I think you may have misinterpreted my post. The hosting bots do not cause the issues, it's certain maps (which I believe may have been addressed with the last few patches). My post was referring to a specific map, DotA AI (DotA with computer players - or multiplayer bots), not the hosting bot programs.

I have never experienced issues playing in games hosted with the bots.

Rileyb80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
I apologise, I thought you meant the hosting bots, which I know some use for dota games are good but others are frankly poorly designed and will de-sync at any opportunity for pc users on a good day but for mac it seems to de-sync once every 2 or 3 games.

However from what I got told by someone they will be banned soon due to other issue Blizzard has with them, which is a shame as I like the no host scheme as it just make it game no chance of "I'm host do as I say or I kick you".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.