warcraft crash on mbp = defective gpu ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dchen720, Aug 19, 2008.

1. dchen720 macrumors member

warcraft crash is very often when playing dota on my almost 4 week old mbp.
    often, as in, at least 1 crash a day.
    at least 1 crash every 3 games.

is it compatibility problem or defective gpu ?

what can i do to fix it ?

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

how about visiting an apple store near you?

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

when does it crash? while you are playing dota or when you go to exit the game? if it crashes when you go to exit warcraft after playing dota that is a known issue and you should put it into window mode (cmd+m) before exiting so you can force quit.

4. dchen720 thread starter macrumors member

i read about the exit crash.
    mine is not 'exit crash'
    it's unexpected, sudden crash.
    in the middle of game.

does it happen to any of you guys too ?

5. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

Does the game seem to slow down before it crashes? If it does, then it is possible that it is the GPU overheating.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Or the game is buggy. You have the latest patches?

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Sounds to me like the Laptop is getting too hot...

8. dchen720 thread starter macrumors member

of course i have updated it to the lastest patch.
    no slow down.

just sudden crash.

9. hijaxOO7 macrumors newbie

hijaxOO7

getting overheated. I used to play WoW too, I would highly invest in getting http://www.moshimonde.com/zefyr.html or some other kind of cooler.

If you can't, go the cheaper route and apply some arctic silver (better silver thermal paste) on your processor.

10. lukin macrumors regular

Wow. These things can't play world of Warcraft without overheating? Between a MagSafe that may burn my house down and a laptop that can't play WoW... Questioning myself whether this is the right laptop for me. I'm not that much of a tamer but I do log onto WoW now and again.

11. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

You can play WoW. You just have to do some minor tweaks. Replace the thermal paste to the correct amount and have a laptop cooler. You have to remember that its very thin so a lot is squeezed in such a small size. It is was thicker, this wouldn't be an issue.

12. lukin macrumors regular

Sorry, but if I spend 3000 bucks on a machine and have to 'tweak' it this voiding the warranty... Something is wrong.

13. hijaxOO7 macrumors newbie

hijaxOO7

No, but we do not know to the extent of which he has been running WoW. No matter what laptop you have, the more you play a game (of any type even low graphics like WoW) it will run through a laptops lifespan far faster than a normal PC tower.

I ran my MBP for 3 months straight at least 3 hours a day playing WoW on intense widescreen settings, and I never had an overheating issue... but, it did get extremely hot. I did this also on my previous desktop replacement computer from Alienware, and after 5 months it overheated and would freeze and crash. It is the bane of laptops. BUT, if you get a cooler like the moshi zefyr, it can DRAMATICALLY help. Even a simple cooler from staples will help.

If you're going to game on any laptop you NEED a GOOD cooler, the zefyr is the best I've seen so far.

Don't get turned off on a mac if it's about gaming, you wouldn't be buying one if you wanted to use it as your main gaming rig. I'm going to be running Starcraft 2 on this thing daily, but then again I spent the money on a cooler so I really don't have to worry.

Plus, I do most of my gaming on my xbox anyway now (until SC2) but you must understand that in terms of use for everything including gaming, I love my mac 1,000,000 times better than my old pc and laptop which were both built for gaming.

14. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

you would think that a brand new mbp would be able to play a 6 year old RTS game like warcraft 3 without crashing though lol.

i dont have this problem and it does not seem typical based on what i have read on this forum.

15. fencer hayato macrumors newbie

I just installed WC3 as well to play dota and the regular campaign and i have the same problem. WC3 will randomly freeze on me, but everything else works fine i just have to escape out of the game and restart the game, the rest of my OS works fine and doesnt lock up. Does anybody know what is wrong? Thanks in advance

16. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

have you tried any games besides warcraft?

Crysis, COD4, TF2, and more play fine on my computer. :)

those listed above are already much more stressing to a MBP than WoW or warcraft.

17. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

you don't need a cooler to game on the MBP unless you're playing it on your bed. I never had any cooling issues. Most cooling issues that I experienced and helped fix with are because the heatsink was clogged with dust.

18. elmz macrumors regular

Its sounds more like a software issue with WoW. If it was hardware you would notice something with performance , or images that are not rendered correctly in the game. I play games on my MBP as well like Age of Conan, Warhammer, CoD, TF2, etc...and haven't had any issues except when it got really hot after hours of game play. When this happened, I got lower FPS and defective image rendering. I would recommend getting a cooling platform if you don't have one already. I did experience a similar issue with the new MMO WAR. It would crash if I left AIM or any sort of Instant Messenger open, but this was addressed on their website.

Good luck.

19. fencer hayato macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses guys! Everything renders perfectly on my macbook pro, I was just really worried about the graphics card being broken because i heard that some of em ship defective or something. Ill try another game i suppose or maybe run it in boot camp instead and see how that works. Thanks for the help and if anybody knows any other ways to fix this problem thanks in advance!

20. elmz macrumors regular

Ok, are you running these games in Parallels or via Virtual Machine?! I run all my games through Bootcamp. If you are, that is probably where your problem is since these games require a lot of resources.

21. pupuhan1218 macrumors newbie

This dose also happens when I was playing DOTA on my new 2.53Ghz unibody macbook pro.

The computer suddenly crashes, without any slow down even, just suddenly...

I also play WOW on this machine, I played intensively and did not run into this same trouble.

I just got my new MBP for couple of days, and I decided to go to the apple store tomorrow, this is a huge issue, I've tried to play warcraft on the 2.4Ghz unibody macbook, it crashes very often, and now on the macbook pro.

Maybe it's the compatibility problem...I can't find any explanation.

PS: I run these games in Mac OS, just running the mac version warcraft and world of warcraft.

22. bolleee macrumors newbie

Try to make the fans spin faster like about 4000-6000 rpm, and then try again.

23. kolax macrumors G3

What do you mean "suddenly crashes"? What happens? Whole computer locks up and the screen goes blank yet there is still audio?

Download SMC Fan Control and put the fans up to 6000rpm and see if the problem persists.

Apple really needs to sort out the SMC firmware - the fans don't come on properly at all.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The cooler, sure it might help.

As for Artic Silver, bad bad advice, sure it might cool it, but he would just void his warranty, and if anything else went wrong apple would not honour it. Not a smart move at all. You only do something like this once applecare has run out.

I had the same issues with my new MBP, i just returned it. Great laptop but does not cope with gaming right now.

OP, if you wow heaps, you might want to explore the options of getting a cheap PC desktop. If there is one thing that PCs kick butt in, its gaming. And if you play long session of wow on a new MBP, you just going to kill it overtime.

25. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Thats what i was getting with mine. Setting fans to 6000 rpm just meant that it took longer for the crash to occur.

Hopefully nvidia release new drivers that address this. I hope its not a hardware issue.

OP, make sure you do not run shadows. Go into wow and make sure this is unticked. Also blizzard is looking into this cause they have been getting complaints, so you can hope that a patch might address is. Though it sounds more like hardware.