Warcraft III:TFT Port Forwarding- 2WIRE Gateway

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Jimbogiant, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Jimbogiant macrumors member

Hi all-

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been having trouble configuring my 2WIRE 2701H-GB DSL gateway to correctly forward the Battle.net ports for WCIII:TFT. I realize this is a common issue on this board, but I've yet to find a thread that addresses all of my specific difficulties with this specific router.

My three roommates and I would all like to play on Battle.net at the same time in our apartment. Because the 2WIRE gateway only allows you to forward ports on a per-computer basis, and won't allow the same rule (or an alternately-named rule w/ the same ports) to be applied to more than one computer at a time, it seems I can only open up ports 6112-6119 on one computer at any given time. This is strange in my experience, as other routers I've owned allowed network-wide port forwarding (or at least it seemed that way to me). This results in only one computer at a time having their 6112-etc. ports open. I've already visited the portforward.com guide for my specific router, but it was catered for a single user/client needing the ports open.

Would assigning a single open TCP/UDP port for each computer (6112 for one, 6113 for the next, and so forth) work if each of us made sure the port specified in the WCIII program matched up w/ its respective assigned port? Does anyone have any first hand experience w/ this issue on this router?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

James

2. imassents macrumors 6502

That's how it's supposed to be done (it actually only needs TCP traffic). Forwarding a port twice will cause issues as it's like having 2 houses with the same street name and number - the mail will get mixed up.

Having it setup with one port per computer will enable all your computers to host on battle.net. I gather you are having issues getting everyone in the same game? If so, this is generally a result of your router not supporting local loopback, however I cannot be sure if this is true for yours or not.