Warcraft on the retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J.L.Photography, Jul 2, 2012.

1. J.L.Photography macrumors 6502

Just downloaded 4.3 cataclysm WoW on my 2.3/16/256

graphics set to 16 something resolution, ultra and got an average of 100fps in org...

no skips or hiccups, fans surely kicked in though and the heat started to become "noticeable"

does anyone know how to disable the "mac" f keys so i can use them in game though?!

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Does anybody know how to get Dragon Warrior (1 and 2) on the MacBook Pro? I am talking about the classic NES Dragon Warrior -- would an NES emulator do the job like SNESx or something along those lines?

3. C4FF macrumors member

I can play wow on ultra settings on a 1080p external display while still doing stuff on the 2880x1800 laptop display, which for me is pretty amazing!

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Click the Apple. Go into the System Settings. In the Keyboard area there is a option to modify how the F keys work.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

All I have to say is WHY be a Horde.

:cool:

6. joeysarks macrumors regular

Everyones different man, i'm a Horde myself. I love me some undead or blood elf back story. Their cities, music, and art style are more for my tastes too. I even enjoy their side of Alterac Valley:) I do like Draenei and Worgen starting areas though, very cool and unique.

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

In Diablo 3 there's an in game option to disable Mac keyboard shortcuts, could be the same in WoW.

8. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I think someone down-voted you because you play WoW.

Seriously though, 100 FPS? That's redonkulous. Diablo III also gets some serious frame rates as well. I'm done with WoW since I'm not really interested in Pandas, but I do want to take a crack at DIII.

9. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

ya, i actually figured it out before the apple representative figured it out, thank you for this btw....

so pleased with the performance of this machine so far!

10. Aodhan macrumors regular

On my MBP 2.6 (1440x900) I was just flying over Stormwind and getting 160FPS. But that is with Vertical Sync off. Do you have VSync off? Turn it on and your FPS will go down by half. I prefer it on, it makes things smoother.

11. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

i also set it off for higher fps, i mean, I'm coming off a dell c2d with 4 gb ram and no gfx card, so even still this thing performs and looks sexy as hell, to be quite honest lol

whatever people are saying, yes the fans blow, gets a bit hot, but it pulls the weight and I'm completely happy with my purchase, can't wait to edit my first photos!

12. RVspidey macrumors member

i see you have an iPhone and an iPad 3.. how about you video tape the performance :)? i'd love that!

13. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

sure, ill grab a video of Heroic Hour of Twilight later tonight...

youtube im assuming is best way to post?

i know theres a way to auto record, how do i do that?

14. dkimxd macrumors member

Anyone have a problem with the OS resolution changing when you open wow? I always have to go back and change my display settings to best for retina after I open wow. Can't wait until they optimize the game for retina... some of the text in game looks blurry to me, but i really love playing on this new screen.

I play on ultra with shadows on good and I only get like 80 fps in stormwind though ) :
    I've tried with shadows on ultra too and it dips down to around 40

15. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

i don't have any resolution issues.... i set the os at 1600 whatever, and the game at 1400 whatever, other wise everything is wayyyy took small for my taste...

ultra with shadows also at good, may change to fair, but fps hasn't dipped below 85 in a dungeon, and never below 50 in org during rush hour

16. J.L.Photography thread starter macrumors 6502

Ran several end times, wells of eternity, and hour of twilight last night and most fights stayed above 100fps, some scenery dropped it to never less than 53...

Fans get noisy during gameplay, swap screens to safari, fans cool off

17. theAXEDhead macrumors member

Os x?

Probably a stupid question - but are you guys all running WoW through OS X, or bootcamp?

I am so excited - got my rMBP coming in about a week - my first Mac, upgrading from a non dedicated GPU HDD W7 machine, so looking for a huge performance hike, and of course experience hike.

I would like to try and keep as much through OS X as possible, but will have bootcamp also. Is WoW likely to run better through bootcamp or OS X?

18. stuaz macrumors 6502

19. miamiFLMac macrumors newbie

I've used wow since 12/2006 on mac osx... It runs great, never had a reason to switch to the bootcamp version.