Wardrobe 2.0

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MonksMac, Aug 18, 2008.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thanks in part to the wonderful members of MR I was able to update my wardrobe to something much more fashionable and better fitting.
    Thanks so much!:cool:
    For those who don't know the back story the original thread is here-
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=510496
    Pictures to come soon!

2. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Alright here are some pictures.
    I'm pretty happy with what I got and can't wait to look extra snazzy on the first day of school.:cool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Congrats, hope you were able to avoid those cargo shorts

4. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I managed to only get one pair. The woman with money insisted...:rolleyes:

5. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Here are before and after pics.
    Before-[​IMG]
    After-[​IMG]:apple:

6. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Very nice, the only thing i could suggest would be a better pair of shoes to wear with jeans. Just stay casual and get a pair of Converse's.

7. Clyde099 macrumors regular

Agreed. Or some Vans slip-ons.

8. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

no.

I would go with something simple in terms of shoes. A good pair of leather Jack Purcells or Adidas Sambas or Adidas Stan Smiths can't go wrong. You also can't go wrong with a pair of white/black/navy Converse all stars.

For the jeans, try a darker, more fitted pair - at least tighter around the ankle and shines. I don't mean go all hipster and start wearing girls jeans, but something less baggy and more fitted will definitely look better and more modern. I used to wear baggy jeans, and the switch to fitted felt weird, but a) it looked better b) made me look slimmer c) gave a more modern look. You don't have to go out and buy a pair of APC's or Nudie jeans. The Gap has some that will be perfect!

I'm not really a polo person, but if I was going to wear a polo, I would pick one more along the lines of what you wore in the first picture (maybe a smaller stripe and maybe something in the blue/white/grey/black area). If you like solid colors, try something a little lighter, like a light blue, or a light green.

I'm not really a casually dressed person. I like fashion and designer stuff (Paul Smith, Etro, Club Monaco, Moschino, Ralph Lauren ect), so I'm more a shirt and tie/bowtie with a sweater or cardigan, or a hoodie type of person, but I've included me in the only polo I own (rarely wear it), just to give you an idea of what I mean.

[​IMG]
    Sorry about the filthy mirror.

Shoes: Adidas Stan Smiths
    Polo: Club Monaco
    Jeans: The Gap - Skinny Fit

Anyway, you're headed in the right direction! I hope my tips are useful and good luck with your future purchases!

9. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thanks for the tips.:) I found a great fitting pair of jeans, but the person that I was with said they looked too tight. I have a birthday in November, so I'm bound to get some more stuff then. :apple:

10. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

When you first get a pair of fitted jeans, they'll be a little tighter than you want. Let them soak in cold water, and then for like, 2 weeks, wear them constantly. Walk in them, stretch in them, squat in them. After that 2 weeks, they should be a little stretched out, and more comfortable.

When I first got fitted jeans, I was hesitant because like you said, they seemed too tight, but once you wear them in, they're comfortable!

EDIT: One thing I noticed, was that you got your tshirts at the Gap.
    For tshirts, I would try American Apparel (not because it's trendy, or cause i get a discount, or cause the whole world wears it) but because the tshirts are comfortable, and they have GREAT colors. Plus they're made in the US (causes less CO2 emissions for transport) and the stuff isn't made in sweat shops. I always found that gap tshirts to be very bland and dark colors. American Apparel is definitely great for adding some color into your wardrobe.

EDIT 2: I updated my other posts with links to shoes - inc ase you wanna have a look.

11. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

If you're looking for a new 'look', consider how you hold yourself. Body language and posture with confidence can do you a lot of good. Watch people around you, look at their body language and physical air of confidence. In some way what you say with your body can be as important to how people see you as what you're wearing...just a thought.

Someone else in this thread mentioned shoes, if you're in the market NB 574s are classically preppy and look good with shorts jeans and khakis.

[​IMG]

12. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I'm going to vouch for the Adidas. From a strictly pragmatic stanpoint, I've owned pairs of both Adidas and Vans, and I find that Adidas hold up better over time.

13. Clyde099 macrumors regular

14. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'm going to have to be honest. I like the GAP and the clothing you got looks good, but in your before and after photos, I don't see much of a difference style-wise. The jeans look okay, but you're still wearing an oversized polo shirt and shoes that don't fit the look. New clothes don't mean new style. They just mean new clothes.

15. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I like threads about clothing and fashion, seriously. It's one of my favourite topics, oddly enough.

I agree I don't see much of a change in the before and after shots. I think what you're missing is layering - you've got the undershirt there but it looks like an afterthought kind of. You can go from plain-t and jeans and make the whole ensemble pop out a bit better by adding a third colour (analogous, monotonous (where the colours are the same but the saturation/shade is different) etc). The before shot really doesn't look bad in itself, it's a bit more 'boatier' looking... like you live on a 50' cabin cruiser or something. The choice of Gap t-shirts, though is after my own heart: I have lots of them and you can't beat the comfort.

I'm much more of a suit and tie type of guy. That's a :cool: look.

16. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Agreed.

And to what melrose said before, I too like the before look better.

As for American Apparel, yes, the sizes are a bit weird. I have a L in two different tshirts, and one is a lot smaller than the other. However, in terms of colors, I've never had a problem with them fading, and I still think the color choices are far better than that of the Gap.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if that mirror is slightly distorted, but those jeans do NOT look like skinny fit....

And for the OP, I wouldn't go for slim fit jeans. Just straight leg jeans would suffice. "Slim fit" sounds somewhat tight to me. They shouldn't stick to you, as nobody wants to see leg detail or shape when you're wearing your jeans. They should be big enough for you not to be showing off the shape of your legs, and comfortable for you to crouch down.

Dark dark blue jeans go with more clothes, so they're a good suggestion. :)

18. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Ooh that's cold. Just what are you insinuating? :D

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There's just so much......jean material! Look down starting from the knees.

And yes, I knew there was a chance that my post could be interpreted as an insult. :) I decided to leave it as it was to get people worked up and aggravated by my insensitivity. *thumbs up*

@MonksMac: There is nothing wrong with the jeans you bought. Not at all. Even people who are suggesting that you get darker, tighter jeans surely have a pair of jeans like that in their closet. Great casual jeans, perfect for t-shirts. Having a pair of jeans of that colour is great, as is having a pair of darker blue jeans.

I'd suggest you look at a shirt, try it on, and if you like it, then buy a size down. :p I think I mentioned it in another thread, but see the seam at your shoulders (where your sleeves are sewn onto the body of your shirt)? I think if that line is past your shoulder, the shirt looks too sloppy and too big. If you choose a size down to get the shoulders right, but the rest of the shirt doesn't fit because it's too small, then the shirt wasn't meant for you. However, shirts do stretch a bit over time as you wear it. If a shirt is borderline small, but does fit you, it may fit you perfectly well in the future.

Don't worry about being fashionable. I know nothing about shoes and don't care. I just get clothing that fits me, and it works out fine. ;)

(I think.)

20. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

The tag reads "skinny fit". Skinny fit doesn't mean it's tight to the point where you can see my *insert any word you want*. It's generally just tighter around the lower part of the leg, rather than having it just a straight flow of fabric, with zero shape. However, the particular jeans I'm wearing are too long - I don't wear those Gap jeans, I just used them as an example of something that can be found at the gap and that could work.

The Jeans that the OP bought are too baggy for him. They make him look a lot bigger than her really is, because they just go straight down, and have no shape at all. In terms of color, I guess they're fine, but your comment of
    isn't the case for me, as I don't own a pair of jeans that look like that (color wise).

21. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

These are a pair of Gap Straight fit jeans. This is a kid's size (i have a very small waist, 27"). The photo doesn't really get the colour correct, but just to show you guys what i think "slim fitting" is without being skin tight.

My outfit today.

Gap Jeans
    Threadless Tee
    Random collared shirt
    Lowtop White Converse (not in photo)

Converse go with everything. I have two pairs (one in black, the other white). The jeans are a great price, and Gap jeans are very good quality as well. Threadless shirts always catch other's eyes, and for the undershirt (collard) i got a random cheap shirt from Walmart.

I got many compliments on the outfit today. Hopefully it will give you some good ideas :)

(I'm not trying to sound pompous with this post, just offering some help.)

Attached Files:

22. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thanks for more tips. I don't know whether it was just a bad picture or what, but everything I bought was no larger than a size medium. I didn't get to try on some of the shirts because my dad insisted on getting me some stuff. He wanted to hurry up and get it over with. You know how guys are.:rolleyes: (myself included)
    I find it hard to layer clothes, and it feels weird to me. I still have to figure out what to wear for picture day tomorrow too (HS Sophomore)! Gah, more laundry to do!:apple:

23. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I do find that some polos--especially the more traditional style ones--tend to run big.

Ah, picture day...

Dress nicely but in something you feel comfortable wearing. I mean, the reddish polo and jeans in the photo above seems like a fine outfit to me (though admittedly I'm not too heavy into fashion--as long as my clothes fit and look presentable I'm happy). Unless school photos have changed drastically in the past six years or so, nobody's going to see anything below your chest anyway, so I wouldn't sweat it much.

24. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Your clothes will look much better if they fit you, not sit on you. Your polo's sleeves are far too long, and a bit too large. Also, not to sound like a deprecating mother, but fix your posture. :eek:

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So by tight around the lower part of the leg, you mean tapered?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

But the thing is that some fits just aren't don't look right with some people's body type. One example may be fitted clothes, or straight-leg (tighter) jeans. However, I think trying them would be good, but it's not a necessity for looking good. It wasn't 10-20 years ago. What looks good happens to change, that's all. Just make sure that your clothing fits well on you.

I can be anywhere from a small to a large. It really just depends.

Oh, and I can't layer either. I mean, I can swear a zip-up hoodie and a t-shirt underneath (duh!), but I don't wear long sleeve shirts under short sleeve t-shirts. Not doing that sort of thing is fine too.