Warm gloves you can type in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nein01, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

weird question i know, but i figured the laptop forum would be best to ask on account of the fact that the macbooks probably get used in more places and weather conditions than any other apple computer.

so my issue is this:
    the maclab at my school has terrible temperature regulation. it's in the basement of an open floor plan building, and during the winter it gets so bad in there that my fingers go numb.

...obviously these are not ideal conditions when you are trying to work with a keyboard, a mouse and a wacom for hours on end.

so i'm wondering, does anybody own or know of a pair of gloves that happen to be thin enough to allow for typing yet still keep your hands warm?

i tried googling for a bit but all i could find were gloves with the fingertips cut off. those won't help me. i think i must have poor circulation in my hands or something because my fingers and toes seem to stay cold most of the winter regardless of how warm my body is. and working on a computer in a cold room just makes it exponentially worse of course.

any suggestions?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

This may seem crazy, and you may look weird, but latex gloves keep my hands warm.

3. prodigee macrumors 6502a

You can get those tight knit gloves, they are thin enough to type in and keep your hands warm. A lot of people use them as gloves under gloves when skiing so that they can still use their phone keyboards and keep their hands warm. I know I do that :p.

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Open a terminal window, and type the following:

Code:
    python
    while 1:
         i=1+1    #make sure you press tab at the beginning of this line.
                  #Press enter again
    Then open a new tab and repeat until the number of running threads equals the number of CPU cores you have.

I tried typing with the somewhat thin fleece gloves I have, and it didn't work very well. I could only use 2-4 fingers since my hands wouldn't fit on the home row. Although that's basically how I normally type, I could only type at about half my normal rate, and I had more errors. The touch pad didn't work at all.

I have some thinner gloves at home, ski glove liners made of a stretchy material, that might work a bit better.
    Like these:
    http://www.evogear.com/outlet/gloves/dakine-scirocco-glove-liners.aspx

I think latex gloves would make your hands get really sweaty.

5. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

Yes, a friend just gave me a pair as a gift, specially made for touch screens. Sorry, but I've thrown away the tag and so can't give you details. But will find out where he got them, and post here.

6. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Try thin neoprene gloves. Tight scuba ones might work. Get a cheap pair and you could cut off the finger tips you use for typing.

I tend to use thin scuba gloves when it's cold as general gloves