Warm iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clusty, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Clusty macrumors regular

When using my iPhone(8GB) the back gets pretty hot. It's not to the point of burning, but it does get uncomfortable to hold. Is this normal?

ETA: I just realized this started after I updated to 2.0.1. I'm not sure if that matters, but I wanted to add it.

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yes, during mild to rigorous use the back of the iPhone tends to get very warm...

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. atluten macrumors 6502

5. rolex54 macrumors 6502

yeah it gets warm
    it will turn off if it gets too hot

6. Clusty thread starter macrumors regular

It had been "sleeping" for a few hours, and after about 20 minutes if use it got hot. This is also on the lowest brightness.

7. rwd hero macrumors 6502

I notice this also. I have a rubber case on my phone that's pretty thick and I feel the heat through it alot. Most of the time it's when I have music playing through the speakers and surfing the web at the same time.

8. AndroidSUCKS macrumors newbie

Getting the same problem here. For about 3 weeks my 3g iphone was working fine and i got NO HEAT on the back. but after I installed 2.0.1 the other day, the back was a getting hot after a few minutes of usage. i'm going to trying reverting back to 2.0.0

9. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

I have the Speck silicon case on my iPhone, and i have noticed that it gets pretty warm even through the cover.

10. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

It will ALWAYS get warm. My 2G gets warm a lot. All of my previous cell phones got hot. It's a fact of electronics... (Heck, even my Mighty Mouse gets warm from time to time...)

11. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

Mine gets warm sometimes. It's really normal. When you have electric current flowing inside any electronic, it generates heat. Anyway, the brightness should not effect the iPhone temperature. Usually it's those apps you're running, like GPS/location service, browser, games.

12. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It is enough to warrant a replacement at genius bar. I would make appointment and have them run a diagnostic test and replace the phone.

13. Amorpheus macrumors member

It can get very warm with some tasks... I mostly feel it with 3G browsing when reception is bad. Otherwise, just noticable.

14. crazyyankeefan macrumors regular

Electronics get warm when running. iPhone is like a small computer without a fan. Of course it gets warm. If your iPhone is always cold, then you should consider replacing it because some parts inside may not work properly.