Warm laptop without using it for days?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nivekrag, Jan 16, 2017.

1. nivekrag macrumors newbie

Hello guys!

I've got a question for you. I haven't used my new MacBook Pro 15 Inch with Touch Bar since last Thursday. Today is Monday and I turned it on about 15 minutes ago. I still keep it in the original box when not using it, but today, prior to turning it on, I noticed that it was a bit warm. Not hot or anything, I might be acting too paranoid, but it was just a bit warm. It is my first MacBook so I don't know if it is something normal or not. Maybe it was like that before and I just didn't notice. I am using it now and it is not warm at all. But it just made me think a bit. Have you had the same experience? As I said, it wasn't hot or anything, just not cold. That's the word I guess. Not cold.

Well, hope you can tell me something. Thanks!

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

They wake up from time to time. If that bothers you, follow the articles on power usage to get details on how to disable this behavior.

3. nivekrag thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you be a bit more specific? I am new to MacBooks and don't fully understand. What do you mean they wake up? Even if you've previously shut them down?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

https://support.apple.com/HT204032 will explain.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your MacBook doesn't wake up on its own (power nap) if it is powered off - only from sleep.

6. jerryk macrumors 68020

If you shut it down it will not wake up. But if you just close the lid it will.

7. macmee Suspended

macmee

Do you know if the Mac was fully off? If you just closed the lid or intentionally put it in sleep mode then it will cycle between on and off stages which would explain the heat.

8. nivekrag thread starter macrumors newbie

I am sure I shut it down. I always do. It wasn't warm, but it was not cold. So I don't know if it's normal or not. But I always shut it down. That's the way to fully turn it off, right?

9. jerryk macrumors 68020

If you want to run it off than shutdown is correct. But many uses just close the laptop, and walk away or throw it in a bag. Then are surprised to see battery power being consumed and heat being generated.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You are doing the right thing to turn off your laptop.

I think it was just "not cold" due to the ambient temperature being warm.

Unless it used a lot of battery, your laptop was off.

11. nivekrag thread starter macrumors newbie

That reassures me, to be honest. I never close it down, I always consciously shut it down. And I thought it might have been my room temperature actually, because my heater is way too powerful LOL. Could that be the reason? But battery life was in 50%, exactly as I left it on Thursday :)
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2017 ---
    Something I hadn't thought about: "If the box I keep it in is cardboard (which is, because it is the original one), cardboard does retain heat. So i would say depending on how long you might have used it and the room temperature being warm it would cause the heat to discipate slower than normal." That's from a chat with Apple. Might be that. How long should I wait until putting it back in the box again?

12. kokhoong0624 macrumors regular

kokhoong0624

It's a computer, not an antique or masterpiece. It can reach 80 degrees and still perform normally. You can put it anytime when you feel like doing it. It's a tool...