Warm or not ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lapino, Mar 24, 2012.

1. lapino macrumors regular

My new iPad gets pretty warm, even when doing basic tasks like surfing or checking email. My iPad2 was always cool to the touch, so it's a very noticeable difference.

I understand why the new iPad can get warm because of a faster gpu, larger battery and the extra LEDs, but what I don't understand is people posting that their new iPad does not get warm at all.

So do I need to conclude that I have a bad one then?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yes.

If yours is even slightly warm I would return it. I do not know what is going on but the more I use mine it seems to get colder. I have to put a towel on my lap to soak up the condensation. :eek:

3. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I fire up a 1080p video and then use mine as a laptop cooling pad.

Michael

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think "warm" is a relative term. What is warm for you may not be warm for me. I may be used to "warm" electronics so it doesn't bother me, so I hesitate to call it "warm". I'd call it "warm" if it was unusually warm, but that's just me. Different people have different standards, so unless you have an infrared thermometer and accurate readings, this "warm" discussion will go nowhere....

I put a Marware micro shell back cover on mine, and now its cool as a cucumber...

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just beware as my beer froze and stuck to the back of mine. :cool:

6. RSC10 macrumors member

RSC10

Grow up

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I hope is is grown up. Underage beer drinking is a bad thing...

8. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

Mine only gets warm when I'm holding it on the left side. Doesn't worry me too much.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

So the message is, you're holding it....no, I won't say it!!:eek: :D

10. Cingular macrumors regular

When I have the brightness to 100% mine get relatively warm. I have a case on mine and even with the case on I could still feel the heat. Not only the back gets warm but the front as well. Is this normal?

11. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

lol :D

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I have yet to feel any heat coming off mine. But I don't play any graphics intensive games.

13. mac jones macrumors 68040

They get warmer folks. It's been proven over and over, and not just by temp meters, but buy common sense meters.

It's a trade off, and a good one.

Eventually, they will produce more efficient displays. You wanna wait, then stick with the 2.

Frankly, i'm sort digging the 3 miself.

YMMV

14. Burro99 macrumors member

I've ran my battery down from constant use almost every day last week, including playing the racing hd and that dogfighting airplane game, watching video and internet stuff, both in a case and out of one, and I have yet to experience the iPad heating up. I'm pretty sure it's less of an actual issue and more of a sour grapes thing for people who don't have one to grouse about.

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You have now hurt my feelings!:p

16. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

Just did a stress test, putting the iPad at full brightness and playing Infinity Blade 2. After about 15 minutes, the lower left side (when holding in portrait mode) is really really warm. Not hot so I would burn myself, but more like a hot cup of coffee you're holding in your hands. Not quite comfortable. Even the front of the device is getting pretty warm at that moment. I turned it off after that time, just because it seemed to get worse.

Like I said, I understand the faster gpu generating a bit more heat, but this is not normal imo. Especially when I hear people saying their Ipad3 barely gets warm, even when playing heavy games for a long time.

17. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I tested it too on mine and yes it does get warmer then my 1st gen. iPad ever did but it is not hot or uncomfortable at all.
    If you have one that gets to hot to hold or shuts down then you need to go and get it exchanged simple as that.

18. elmo151 Guest

not warm enough to bother me( or anyone else unless they are very sensitive)

19. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

20. lapino thread starter macrumors regular

It's going back the next few days, want to get it checked out in the store and see if there are display models there that get evenly warm. If not, I'll ask an exchange. Kinda disappointed, always loved my iPad1 and iPad2, never had even the smallest issue.

21. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

You did a stress test and it got warm. Is that really any surprise??

Mike

22. lapino, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

lapino thread starter macrumors regular

So you're saying it's abnormal to use an iPad with 100% brightness and running a well known game for 15mins? Don't think this is exactly a very special situation. I put the screen at 100% because I know the LEDs can generate some heat too, but even when using it at 50% and just browsing the web, it gets noticeably warm, far from the cool feeling my iPad2 always had.

For me the 'wife test' was obvious enough: she has no idea what the difference between iPad2 and iPad3 is, and mostly uses a macbook air for surfing (which can get somewhat hot too after long uses). Well, her direct reaction when I put the iPad in her hands after 15min of Infinity Blade was "Is it normal to feel this hot?".

Need to add that the charger is getting extremely hot too when charging. Is this also normal?

23. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

What are you talking about? I wrote "warm" not abnormal. My iPhone can get warm too. I also used the term "stress test" as that is exactly what he called what he did.

But since you asked, yes, I do think it is abnormal to use the iPad at 100% brightness. Most of the polls I have seen do not show 100% brightness as even close to the norm.

Just take the thing back if it bothers you so much.

Michael

24. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I just took a look at some on display at my local retailer and all you need to do is touch the back to know which one is a new iPad. The were all very warm and they also were dropping in charge while I was holding them, like the charger can't keep up with the unit when it's on. I really wonder about this new model...